Isle Of Arran

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Might have the opportunity to go to Arran at the end of May - never camped in Scotland (shame on me), never mind an Isle.......

Any suggestions on where to go and what to do?

Cheers

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
how long are you going for mate.there are loads of places to go to .if you have a couple of days or more,you can pretty much see most of the island. you will not be dissapointed.

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
Might have the opportunity to go to Arran at the end of May - never camped in Scotland (shame on me), never mind an Isle.......

Any suggestions on where to go and what to do?

Cheers

With the 'right to roam' you can camp anywhere in the wild. There are posh expensive commercial sites at Lochranza and Lamlash and a not so posh and expensive at Glen Rosa.

When I went a few years ago I got lost on the complex ridge system around Goat Fell, basically through a combination of mist coming and going, reluctance to get my map out in the wind, and most of all, the knowledge that it was OK because I'd eventually get to somewhere on the coast if I just kept going!

Jim

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
3 days - the bank holiday weekend at the end of May. My brother and his mate are keen cyclists but I'll be lumping it around on foot, alone but that's how I like it sometimes :D

Question should really have been what to see and what to do - need to find out off my bro where they're likely to go, so I can plan some routes.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
there is great hillwalking on goatfell and the ridges,there are standing stones ,caves etc stunning views everywhere.there are forum memebers who were brought up on Arran ,i,m sure they will be along soon .i live very near the island and have been going regular since i was a kid ,i still get excited on the ferry and never tire of the island,one of my favourite places ever .

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
As folk have said, the ridge system is impressive. Beinn a Chliabhan - A' Chir - Cir Mhor - Goatfell can be done in a (long) day but if you're on your own be warned that A' Chir is hands-on at a couple of places and it's a long way down. There's a low path round the n/w that bypasses the tough bits(they're not really that tough, just ballsy).

Goatfell - North Goatfell, down to Corrie and back along the shore/road is a doddle in comparison and you still get the bulk of the views.

If your brother and his pals are on mountain bikes the FC track from Whiting bay to Lamlash is a steady downhill for most for the way that's a lot of fun. The track cambers right into the ditches like a berm and you can fair slingshot round the corners using them. It finishes in a straight then a blind corner onto a bridge with no rails and a gate immediately after. Go too quick down the last straight and things can get interesting.:eek:

Last couple of times I've been over have been to raid knappables from the shore at Corriegills. There's a big seam of blacky-green volcanic glass where most of the local tool stone came from back in the day.

...all kinda depends on what you fancy doing. Lamlash golf course is top notch, there's a wee boat that goes over to holy isle and will pick you up later after you've had a clamber, a lot of folk go over for the diving, the 'Scotland in miniature' bit has always got geologists all moist, Zab's still running the paragliding school.....

What there aren't anymore are pubs. No-one's quite sure why but half the pubs on the island have shut in the last 10 years.:confused:

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
With the 'right to roam' you can camp anywhere in the wild. There are posh expensive commercial sites at Lochranza and Lamlash and a not so posh and expensive at Glen Rosa.
Jim

There is no 'right to roam' but a 'right to responsible access'. So as you say, yes wild camping is allowed. There are exceptions such as not on nursery plantings and fields etc.
No trace toileting and camping is best practice.

Enjoy

Nick

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Some suggested bushy-type and convenient sites near cycling territory.

NS024248 - above the main fall so you won't have a steady stream of sightseers in the morning. Close too but can't be seen from the track.

NS010295 - The whole Monamore Glen is nice. There are sheep pens a couple of miles up with dip troughs that used to flush into the burn so I'd be suspect of the water but the fish never seemed to mind it. Tributarys will be fine and there are lots of them.

NS052334 - there's a sweet spot where you can't be seen and should be driftwood. Clauchlands is a good cycle and that's not far away.

NS018385 (or thereabouts) - you're outside/above the castle grounds but still close enough to cut through onto the Goatfell track. I've camped on that slope a couple of times and left all my junk there for the day but it's risky. The higher you go the better.

They're all on plantations:eek: :rolleyes: :p . Plantations are just lines on maps, you have to be careful but there's always a place down by the burn to cook and at least there's lots of wood.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
It's a lovely place and you have such a variety of places it would be really hard to pick the best. The King's cave is a nice walk but the cave itself is a bit of a disappointment. If you want ferry times PM me. Up and over the hills at Lochranza is stunning in good weather and there are plenty of Red deer to watch. As folks have already mentioned the big glen at goat fell is beautiful but in summer can be a bit busy for me, and a visit to the Tibetan Monastery is nice, you can also hire a small motor boat for a couple of hours quite cheaply for a spot of fishing.

Bongo Matt

Tenderfoot
Apr 18, 2009
Isle of Wight
Some suggested bushy-type and convenient sites near cycling territory.

NS024248 NS010295 NS052334 NS018385 - If you dont mind me asking, (as I am hoping to do a bit of sailing up to that way at some point) are these co-ordinates? if so do you have them in Lat and Long? Or am I just being plain silly....

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Can't help with coordinates I'm afraid. Gave away my paper maps of the island a while ago and this software is uk based and only feeds out grid refs. If you pop each ref into multimap it'll show you where they are.

Sailing you'd be looking at a whole different list of sites. ;)
How big's your yacht?
...what I'm meaning is how deep a mooring do you need?
The popular ones are usualy popular for a reason. I could point you to a couple of quieter spots but would be loath to recommend anchorages that might change overnight and leave you high and dry.

stevemreid

Nov 27, 2007
Ayr
Theres a group of folk from my work going across to walk goatfell on the 30th. Your more than welcome to join our mini expedition and come for a few beers afterwards if you fancy it! It's a mixed group of folk with some newbie hillwalkers so it won't be a race to the top like some walks I've been on.

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Guy's (and Gal's) - thanks for all the info. Still to speak with my brother, but I have a copy of Memory Map that'll I'll grab the relevant files/area's for and check out those map refs.

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Thanks for the offer steve, but I have my one-year anniversary with the missus in the 28th, so the following weekend is reserved for that (god help me if I forgot!)

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Theres a group of folk from my work going across to walk goatfell on the 30th. Your more than welcome to join our mini expedition and come for a few beers afterwards if you fancy it! It's a mixed group of folk with some newbie hillwalkers so it won't be a race to the top like some walks I've been on.

Went with the shift about 10 yrs ago,met the gym goers,after pics and lunch on the way down,along with the oldest fella.:rolleyes: ,who was with me:lmao:

Tried to take a garden bench from his mum in laws garden (recently deceased) but gave up long before we got to the ferry.

Note...alcohol hits you hard and fast when dehydrated...

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Actually getting round to putting the picture up today!
The trip was great, weather fantastic and if it wasn't for a visit by Ixodoidea I would say it was perfect. I always like to get some distance under my feet - I like walking and having the achievement of getting somewhere under my own steam...

...this was 2 days, 17 miles from Brodick to Catacol.

So here you go - enjoy.

Photo0065.jpg

Photo0066.jpg

Photo0069.jpg

Photo0070.jpg

Photo0072.jpg

Photo0074.jpg

Photo0077.jpg

Photo0081.jpg

Photo0083.jpg

Photo0100.jpg

Photo0107.jpg

Photo0110.jpg

Photo0119.jpg

Photo0121.jpg

Photo0124.jpg

Your intrepid explorer!
Photo0125.jpg

Photo0126.jpg

Photo0130.jpg

Photo0160.jpg

On a mining ship, 3 million years into deep space, can someone explain to me where the smeg I got this traffic cone?
Photo0163.jpg

Photo0169.jpg

Photo0175.jpg

Photo0181.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
looks like you had a great trip buddy,makes me feel it,s time for my visit. i get a pining for this wee place like no other.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE