Island life..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

inthewids

Nomad
Aug 12, 2008
Morayshire
My girlfriend and myself have been offered work on the island of Colonsay for 5-6 months. We are both from a small town and moved to Edinburgh 4 months ago. I have just finished a temporary job and she does not enjoy her's. We love the thought of island life but are both worried it may be too quiet. We will be working 50hrs each per week over six days. I love the outdoors and like the thought of discovering new flora and fauna, photography and exploring the island.

Has anybody been to the island or does anybody live on a small island?

Last edited:

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Hi.

I've never lived on an island like Colonsay but ten years ago I'd have jumped at the chance. What is the work involved? Surely 6 months over the summer would make the most of a year, especially if you have no dependents.

BTW. is that Nick Drake in your avatar.

Rob

EDIT: you come from Moray and you're worried about life being quiet? ;)

inthewids

Nomad
Aug 12, 2008
Morayshire
Hi Locum, thanks for the reply. I would be a chef at the hotel and my girlfriend waitress/ cleaner. I think the time would fly by as we would be working hard. We want to go travelling and this seems like the best way to make money quick etc. I know Moray is quiet but there are still things going on. I think we will go as it seems like the right thing to do. I was glad to see that there are trees so the possibility of camping and carving are still available :)

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
Some islands can be... funny (and not in a ha ha way)

I almost applied for a full time job on a very quiet island once, it sounded idylic. But there is nowhere to escape to (or more away from anyone else).
and having visited since I can see that it would actually be a very difficult place to live permenantly.

However, no kids, no ties, a short contract and an aim of going travelling afterwards. It may be perfect.
It really is about the best way to save money.
I know one guy who works part of the year on a very remote island, and loves it. There are never more than 4 people working on the island and he meets some interesting visitors and has plenty time to walk and observe and photograph the scenery. And the rest of the year he goes travelling.

In your situation I'd go :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have never visited that island, (would be high on my list)

Id go for it, but island life can be funny, like villge life but worse.

no reason you couldnt try it for a bit

and you wont be cut off, you would have the internet after all.

(There was a mobile signal on N Rona, I recall)

windward

Forager
Sep 28, 2006
Edinburgh
It's a beautiful island...have sailed there many times. I think you'd be crazy not to jump at the chance!!

Colonsay2.jpg

Vince

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Don't Do It - Possibly Regret It for the rest of your Life

Do It - ( WORST CASE ) Possibly Regret It for 6 Months.

Last edited:

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Go for it.... The whole idea of life is this....... You start life with a full bag of luck and an empty bag of experiences. The key is to fill up your bag of experiences before your bag of luck is empty :D

I'll get me coat :D

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Oh yeah, without a single shadow of a doubt.. go for it. These opportunities rarely pop up and it should be an amazing adventure and add another string to your bow.

Hairy Steve

Feb 17, 2010
Cornwall
I haven't worked on that island but I have worked on 2 others for up to 6 months at a time, and in some remote places onshore too, with just a few other people for miles in every direction.

In my experience it can be really intense, and sometimes took me out of my comfort zone, but I don't regret a day of it.

I'd say go for it!!

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
one thing to check is the religious quetsion.

some Scottish islands can be extreamley religious with 100% of the population attending church every Sunday without fail. naturally this presents no problem if you are a reguliar churchgoer and dont want to do any form of work on a Sunday

but if you are not religious or may find yourself working on "The Lords Day" then it is wise to find out the local customs first...

relfy

Nomad
From my experience of working at a hotel on Arran for a summer, you will meet ALL kinds of people and observe some crazy island goings-on and intrigue (though it being summer, it will be less island-fevery than winter - I think it might be pretty unbearable then)... BUT while you will be tired on your days off, don't waste a minute, just head out somewhere, spend the whole day walking/snorkelling/ kayaking/exploring and it will make the stresses of the other days totally worth it :)
I STILL have nostalgic reminiscences about my time on Arran and it was about 8 years ago! Although I had the added bonus of a 6 year old kid to look after aswell (my cousin) who's own discoveries and fearlessness as I dragged him around everywhere really added to my own enjoyment.... try and get hold of a 6 year old to take with you. Lol!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
If once you have slept on an island
youll never be quite the same;
You may look as you looked the day before
and go by the same old name.

You may bustle about in street and shop
you may sit at home and sew,
but youll see blue water and wheeling gulls
wherever your feet may go

you may chat with the neighbours of this and that
and close to your fire keep,
but youll hear the ships whistle and lighthouse bell
and tides beat though your sleep

Oh! You wont know why, and you cant say how
Such a change upon you came
But once you have slept on an island
youll never be quite the same

Rachel field 1926

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I've slept on an Island ever since I was born...:)

If once you have slept on an island
youll never be quite the same;
You may look as you looked the day before
and go by the same old name.

You may bustle about in street and shop
you may sit at home and sew,
but youll see blue water and wheeling gulls
wherever your feet may go

you may chat with the neighbours of this and that
and close to your fire keep,
but youll hear the ships whistle and lighthouse bell
and tides beat though your sleep

Oh! You wont know why, and you cant say how
Such a change upon you came
But once you have slept on an island
youll never be quite the same

Rachel field 1926

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE