Is this the UK's largest horses hoof fungus?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
Whilst out for a walk with my son I came across this giant horses hoof fungus which was about 1m in diameter. It was growing on an old willow tree near the River Great Ouse.

Anyone else seen such a large specimen of fungus anywhere?

2011-04-21_18-01-05_227sm.jpg

What do you think :dunno:

ATB
Craeg

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Whilst out for a walk with my son I came across this giant horses hoof fungus which was about 1m in diameter. It was growing on an old willow tree near the River Great Ouse.

Anyone else seen such a large specimen of fungus anywhere?

I've seen far bigger fungi, bit not of Fomes fomenatarius. Are you certain of the ID (can't tell from the picture). Are you sure it is not a Ganoderma, for example?

Fungifanatic

Jun 22, 2010
Lancashire
Hi craeg

Is there any chance you could get some more pictures please. I have been foraging for, photographing and collecting fungi for about twenty years and that is the largest FF I have ever seen. Although I have to say it does look more like a Giant Ganoderma from your pic but I wouldn't like to say for sure without seeing more pics.

Thanks for sharing this with us all.

Ade

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
Next time we are down that way I will take some more pics. I thought it was horses hoof becaude of the colour :dunno: as it is not reddy. Difficult to tell with it being so old and big I guess :)

ATB
Craeg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE