Is this the simplest pop can stove?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Great lillte find. I hadn't seen that one before. It would make an excellent project for scouts or a youth group.......

:)
Ed

hilltop

Banned
May 14, 2006
edge of the peak district
type "soda can stoves " into google, look at the pics, find the one you like and follow the links, there are a few different ones, i have made 5-6 types, they all work the same tho, only difference is they look alightly different, :D :naughty:

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
that looks very simular to the halacon soda can stove! :confused:

it looks a bit hazrdous to use, especially with the shap edges and fire spilling out the side! :eek:

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
actually i made a stove yesterday :D
out of two red bull cans (because a stove made from this size of can will fit in the base of a crusader cooker)

here's how i did it.

1. cut two red bull cans 1 1/2" from the base.
2. push together.
3. drill holes around rim (or use a notice board pin)
4. make 1/4" hole in centre of the top can.

stove made.

LIGHTING

1. place in the bottom of the crusader cooker (or a shoe polish tin lid or similar)
2. fill stove with fuel (not to the top)
3. place 2p coin over filling hole
4. pour a little fuel in the base of the cooker/tin lid (this will act as a primer)
5. light.

the primer heats up the fuel in the stove and vapourises the fuel, which ignites as it comes out of the vents. the coin prevents flame getting into the stove but will act as a pressure relief valve if the stove looks like over pressurising.

TOP TIP

when you trim off one end of the can, take it and push it over the end of an unopend can. it stretches it and makes fiting the two halves together easier.

as usual, be careful. this is a dangerous activity. can edges are sharp, meths is flammable. take care when making home made stoves.

atraildreamer

May 10, 2006
Providence, RI, USA
I originally posted this at www.backpacking.net

I see from these posts that a chapter has to started at bushcraftuk! :lmao:

--------------

ASA (Alcohol Stove Anonymous) Support Group: :grouphug:

These are the twelve steps to recovery for soda-can stove addicts:

1.We admitted we were powerless over alcohol-fueled soda-can stoves; that our lives had become unmanageable.

2.Came to believe that a soda-can stove design better than ours could restore us to sanity.

3.Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of lightweight backpackers, as we understood them.

4.Made a searching and fearless inventory of our excessive number of soda-can stove designs.

5.Admitted to the forum moderator, to ourselves, and to another human being , (our long-suffering spouses, etc.), the exact nature of our wrongs. (eg: our compulsive desire to collect, cut, drill, glue, tape and ignite, and possibly melt, beverage containers of all possible varieties.)

6.Were entirely ready to have the forum moderator remove all these defects of character. (See #5, above.)

7.Humbly asked the forum moderator to remove our shortcomings, our obsessiveness, along with mounds of scrap aluminum, empty alcohol containers, etc.

8.Made a list of all persons we had scared half-to-death, (eg: spouses, friends, the cat, etc.), when our stove experiments went awry (blew up) and became willing to make amends to them all.

9.Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, after putting the fire(s) out.

10.Continued to take personal inventory (46 stoves…47…48…49…).

11.Sought through on-line forums and websites to improve our stove-building abilities, as we understand them, praying only for knowledge of the understanding so as to construct the “holy grail” of soda-can stoves—the completely controllable, slow-simmer, soda-can stove!

12.Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to other soda-can stove addicts, …WHO ARE WE KIDDING? We will still be making these stoves until they shovel the dirt over us!

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
"12. ... kidding ..."
:why:

what kidding? there´s no kidding on homemade stoves.

After years studying heat, flame & burn theory and experimenting with thousands of burner designs I´ve made lots of stoves. Out of my experience: a stove made just from an alu beverage can is what the amateurs do :D :lmao:

I´m now just a decade away from the holy grail of long lasting low consumption fast operating extralow weight stove
Sorry, must go to the workshop now to work on that new gold&copper plated ceramictitaniumcompositfoam

Btw., the lightest homemade beverage can style stove is at ~ 2g

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
cyclist said:
"12. ... kidding ..."
:why:

what kidding? there´s no kidding on homemade stoves.

Btw., the lightest homemade beverage can style stove is at ~ 2g

I made a couple of presurised alcohol stoves using 2 foil tealight cases, turned out surprisingly strong, I guess the 2 walls pushing at one another help with the rigidity, supported a crusader cup full of water, didn't quite get a full cup to rolling boil though.

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
atraildreamer said:
I originally posted this at www.backpacking.net

I see from these posts that a chapter has to started at bushcraftuk! :lmao:

--------------

ASA (Alcohol Stove Anonymous) Support Group: :grouphug:

These are the twelve steps to recovery for soda-can stove addicts:

1.We admitted we were powerless over alcohol-fueled soda-can stoves; that our lives had become unmanageable.

2.Came to believe that a soda-can stove design better than ours could restore us to sanity.

3.Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of lightweight backpackers, as we understood them.

4.Made a searching and fearless inventory of our excessive number of soda-can stove designs.

5.Admitted to the forum moderator, to ourselves, and to another human being , (our long-suffering spouses, etc.), the exact nature of our wrongs. (eg: our compulsive desire to collect, cut, drill, glue, tape and ignite, and possibly melt, beverage containers of all possible varieties.)

6.Were entirely ready to have the forum moderator remove all these defects of character. (See #5, above.)

7.Humbly asked the forum moderator to remove our shortcomings, our obsessiveness, along with mounds of scrap aluminum, empty alcohol containers, etc.

8.Made a list of all persons we had scared half-to-death, (eg: spouses, friends, the cat, etc.), when our stove experiments went awry (blew up) and became willing to make amends to them all.

9.Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, after putting the fire(s) out.

10.Continued to take personal inventory (46 stoves…47…48…49…).

11.Sought through on-line forums and websites to improve our stove-building abilities, as we understand them, praying only for knowledge of the understanding so as to construct the “holy grail” of soda-can stoves—the completely controllable, slow-simmer, soda-can stove!

12.Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to other soda-can stove addicts, …WHO ARE WE KIDDING? We will still be making these stoves until they shovel the dirt over us!

Classic,m8.
A real classic :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Ceeg

atraildreamer

May 10, 2006
Providence, RI, USA
Seagull said:
Classic,m8.
A real classic :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Ceeg

By the way, all of the stuff mentioned in the ASA 12 step post actually happened to me! (the exploding stove being the most adrenalin-enhancing experience--I almost got the cat with that one! :eek: )

Keep a fire extiguisher handy! :yikes:

what's a "m8"? :dunno:

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Ed said:
Great lillte find. I hadn't seen that one before. It would make an excellent project for scouts or a youth group.......

:)
Ed
I made them with scouts last week as part of a bush craft course. I insisted on only using aluminium drinks cans so they could cut them with scissors and make the holes with a dart!

The design I used had vermiculite as a filler, not sure why but all the variants had it so I got some.

We made 24 and all they all worked despite a widely varied set of skills. Ours didn’t have the bolt and yes one exploded, well came apart, but I don’t remember anything different about it.

NB Its dead awkward cutting these things nicely with scissors and getting a good line. I found by experiment that if you hold the scissors in your right hand but hold the can in your left hand but to the right of the scissors you can control it very accurately. Its easier to try it than explain :)

Nov 28, 2006
state of maine usa
I made a couple variations of the fuzzy stove durring one winers round of stove making. They seem to burn fast and hot, wich makes them most suitable for boiling water. As i remember the taller the inner can/sleave is, the more heat transfers back to the alcohol, speeding up the burn. Its a nice simple sideburner that the pot sits on, makeing it a bit tippy, but eliminated the need for a sepperate pot support. Ive given a number away as gifts in a tin cup with a lid and wind screen. The Instant "cupa-tea" has gained some fans around here. woody

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE