Is this the right stuff to buy?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Your right to choose the Silky, I have one, and its the heavenly mutts nuts.

Bear in mind this is the brand the tree surgeons use...not the Laplander.

Dont forget they are a PULL saw, people break them by pushing. If you dont get on with a pull saw then Japanese saws are not for you!

(The Japanese love traditional tools but they are not cheap)

Bamboo is split along the length and sawed across the pole, yes? Do you think a billhook would be useful?

If these locals have bad tools, how do they do their work?

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Nepal suffers from inadequate governance more than any other issue.

You see some drastic measures being taken by the population who are tired of being held back in terms of development.

Most rural populations are subsistence farmers/labourers, it should not come as a surprise that the locally available tools are somewhat inadequate!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thats a very interesting question. We all like good tools.

But how did people in the past manage? I doubt that dratted `eagle edge` axe of mine was cheap when new, but its a good brand (Brades) and must have been marketed to a not very affluent workman as opposed to someone like us, who can fork out on fancy kit.

(Never mind it cost me £1...)

Reading Tacticus...Interestingly he ascribes the Fennis backwardness to poverty rather than the idea they are simply stone age people...

Cosquet

Jun 30, 2014
Dhading, Nepal
...well, people here have very little money so they work with what they have...but the big difference (in my opinion) is time.... for most of us it has become important to know more or less how long any given task is going to take, here it does not seem to matter, tings take what they take....which makes sense considering a worker gets 500 rupees a day (and don't think that it is good money for here, it's not) so asking for faster work would be crazy.....
...as for tools, they have terrible tools that loose the edges every day and break easy....but they have as well the type of experience that comes from using their tools everyday of their lives.... so lets put it this way, Jimi Hendrix would make better music with a toy guitar than me with a Stratocaster....

Last edited:

Cosquet

Jun 30, 2014
Dhading, Nepal
Bamboo is split along the length and sawed across the pole, yes? Do you think a billhook would be useful?

If these locals have bad tools, how do they do their work?

...locals use sickles for everything and they are good with them...I am not, that is why I choose the machete..... I am getting a kukhuri and a good bilhook in the future to practice with them, but for work I find it makes a difference to use tools I'm used to......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE