Is this the deadly ..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Hi guys
Been doing some hunting and came across this plant which we (my dog) walked through and only when I got home tried to look it up, is it the deadly nightshade?
Kind regards
Bill
aac780395ca4209f5886d4ff5dfe8063.jpg
5232890f44c40e871f083319cfa0364d.jpg
0c7662c942019707144448b31f82cd9b.jpg
53ee06e5b17bbc32de51c46ec161259b.jpg

And it was growing amongst turnips grown for cattle, could this be a problem for the farmer if they got mixed together? Also although my dog and I only walked through them, could there be any harm to either of us? I would only think if I ate some, but always worth an ask
Thanks again
Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
I think it's BLACK NIGHTSHADE rather than the Deadly nightshade, Still poisonous but not as nasty as deadly nightshade can be.....the deadly has purple flowers as far as I know.

D.B.

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
I would say Black Nightshade as well with the white flowers, this is one area where internet searching fails as you can find this plant images listed as deadly nightshade as well as a flood of mistakenly identified woody nightshade (purple flower with the petals folded back) which you will find Americans tend to make this mistake and call it the deadly variety. Woody nightshade also has red berries where the deadly has black.

Last edited:

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
Deadly nightshade berries grow singly rather than in bunches, looks like black nightshade to me...think there is more than one species going by that name?

Quick read suggests black nightshade is actually used for food, prepared correctly; although identifying the correct species would probably very very important! Berries are supposeto be sweet and salty with a hint of liquorice

Last edited:

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Even living in London growing up in the fifties we knew about nightshades,freely growing on our playground bombsites. Perhaps there was an over emphasis on potentially poisonous plants that inhibited foraging but parents did tell their children about such things.Plenty of abandoned fruit trees and bushes in the gardens of the bombed houses though to satisfy appetites in season, even if harvested a bit unripe sometimes.

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Thanks all, would it be of interest for me to tell the farmer as it's growing amongst turnips?
Cheers
Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
It may well do. If you have enough cause for concern it will not do any harm in letting the farmer know. If it turns out to be of no concern to the farmer you will be better informed and can pass that on to others, and of cause visa versa.

Rob.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE