Is this steel good enough

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
At the yard were my mrs keeps the horse, they are nocking down one of the old barn, anyway they are chucking and cutting up the old frame where the steel is old and rusted, I don't know what type of steel it is but I am defo eyeing it up for knife making. What do you guys think? will it be good enough.
Here's a pic
aqyjepa2.jpg

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
personally I would put it aside and save it for those times when you need a bit of angle iron ;) It is suprisingly useful stuff!

The only way to use it for blades is to laminate a good bit of tool steel into the middle of the angle once folded flat and welded together, so not really worth the bother...

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
probably only goodas bolts, though you could turn it into a stamp/punch for leatherwork.

If in doubt about whether a bit of steel can hold an edge, simply heat a piece until non-magnetic (or orange to be on the hot side) and quench it in oil. If a file won't bite into it then it is good. If the file just bites, then try quenching in water. If a file bites easily then don't bother turning into a knife ;)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I suppose it depends on how good a 'smith you are. The Nepalese Kami use steel salveged from cut up ships and truck springs to make the Khukuri.

That said, I certainly couldn't do it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE