Is this MOD knife a fake?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DavidDavidson

Apr 30, 2015
Northern Ireland
Been wondering since I bought it. No makers marks whatsoever, no crows foot, nothing, just a big blade and a very odd (camo pattern) sheath, once again with no makers mark, composite handle and paint that scratches rather easily naturally from the photos I'm posting you can see it's had some sharpening done. The knife could hold an edge fairly well though I let my friend use it (he is useless at plenty of things and doesn't take instructions well at all; he thinks they are 'power games', I remember he tried to put a coat rack into plasterboard; without raw plugs. Appt he worked as a cook for his mother's business but when I saw him dip his ******* fingers into the butter instead of take three paces, opening a drawer and taking out a butter knife; I had to ******* cut around that **** since he's not the most hygienic either but I digress, he put both the knife and my hatchet into concrete, the hatchet multiple times since he doesn't know how to chop wood and when shown all he does is whine that 'I'm always right' when I had to sand the ten or so chips out of the hatchet. Lucky it was a cheap one or the next thing it would be chopping off would be his testes) but I digress, I'm here to see if you guys think I was sold a fake.
Got it from my local surplus, knives and camping shop. Was told it was MOD surplus. They had old AK bayonets that were the real deal, I think the other two knives (unless I wanted a bear 'biggest grifter' grylls one were a hollow handle which was an instant nope) were one that was designed to be much lighter duty and the other came with lots of fancy pockets on the sheath, but just didn't seem the right piece of steel for me, I like the MOD, you can get it to a razor edge and I've my folder that I got for like £10 from "Kombat.co.uk" (terrible name for something I were to carry to a possible hunting site (will make a separate thread on how to ask a landowner if you can use their land for hunting (w/o firearms) nothing screams 'offensive weapon' than "Kombat UK; Tactical" but I digress. The place that sold it seemed to think it was genuine and the guy seemed fairly decent too so it really comes down to is it a fake and did he knowingly sell me a fake (it was only £30, though if it is fake; though selling fake knives as real surplus just isn't right)
But I digress and shall stop rambling.
Here are the pics: http://share.pho.to/9J731
If you need more pics, or pics on a more macro scale of the handle or anything just ask.

Last edited by a moderator:

DavidDavidson

Apr 30, 2015
Northern Ireland
Figured it wasn't the real deal; I can hardly count the shopowner accountable for selling it as MOD surplus when he introduced it to me as the "British army one" which is ambiguous and he doesn't deal with the surplus (surplus guy was away), when I asked if it was ministry of defence surplus he said it was, probably since we were discussing the surplus AK bayonet at the time too. If he's in next time I'll (politely) correct him on his mistake just so someone else doesn't come in shouting about being ripped off. I can't return it now (and if I couldn't track down a real MOD knife I wouldn't) as it's seen too much use, sharpening,, etc so the paint is scratched up pretty badly and there's a bit of damage to the top (see pictures).
Kind of irritating getting sold something that isn't what I was told it was but it's nobody's fault, well; it's the shop's fault really but returning an item in that condition would just be wrong since they aren't a huge chain store, all I would get is store credit and and they obviously can't re-sell the knife.
I'll probably just wait until I get paid and either get a knife with a guthook (if I get permission to hunt on land within walking distance) or a real MOD knife and sell this one on to a friend (or see if there's an ebay for knives) for about fifteen quid, letting them know it's a replica, fake, copy, etc. It's not a bad one, though the paint scratches like matte spray paint.
The fact that their maker's mark (kombat uk) is nowhere on it makes me somewhat suspicious that they intend to sell this to shops and have it sold as surplus, since every other piece of K-UK has their name emblazoned on somewhere. My other knife from Kombat UK doesn't have the country of origin on it either, so I'm thinking China; but being called Komabt UK they don't want to admit they get their knives made for £2 each in Shanghai.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi David,

I had to edit your post as there was some bad language in there. It's a family friendly forum and and swearing isn't permitted.

By the was I sent you some information earlier about something else (good things :eek:) via PM. You can get to your inbox above the Bushcraft UK banner at the top of the page over to the right. Click on "Notifications" and it should take you there. Hope the info is of some use to you.

Cheers,
GB.

DavidDavidson

Apr 30, 2015
Northern Ireland
Ah, apologies, I didn't know there were any rules on language and thanks for informing me of it, I'll make sure my future posts don't contain any language that might be offencive and see if I can find time to edit some of my posts, I use that language all the time (very opinionated on the matter, penn and teller do an episode on bullS**t about it if you're curious and in my own personal opinion removing words from your vocabulary only lessens your vocabulary; but this is your forum and I'll abide by your rules while I post here) I apolgise if I offended anyone and for treating the (nice and short) rules section like a 40 page EULA and just clicking the box with a short skim; I'll go back over it if possible but I get the feeling that it's more or less 'no offensive language, no discussion of illegal activity, be nice to each-other and try to be helpful if you can'
Once again I apologise for making you have to take time out of your day to edit my posts because I was too lazy to fully read the rules.
All the best
-D Davidson

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cheers for the reply. It's a family forum and the boss allows access to his and other kids so we keep the language clean.
Swearing does have a place in comunication and literature I'll agree, though that place isn't everywhere. Personaly I've found English to be so expresive and nuanced that feelings and ideas can be even more powerfully put forward without swearing by picking the right choice. A bit like the old saying about the "Art of diplomacy being learning to shoot from the lip." :D

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

DavidDavidson

Apr 30, 2015
Northern Ireland
Precisely, it doesn't even say British Army style knife it's just "British Army knife"; that is highly misleading, hell; it might even be fraudulent as it says nowhere that it's not BA surplus in the description.
I've already emailed them asking them about the country of origin and the steel the knife is made from; if it's not UK and Sheffield steel they've pretty much committed fraud; but my legalese isn't the best. They've still to mail me back.

Cheers for the reply. It's a family forum and the boss allows access to his and other kids so we keep the language clean.
Swearing does have a place in comunication and literature I'll agree, though that place isn't everywhere. Personaly I've found English to be so expresive and nuanced that feelings and ideas can be even more powerfully put forward without swearing by picking the right choice. A bit like the old saying about the "Art of diplomacy being learning to shoot from the lip."
Thanks for the reply and I do agree to your point that you can make a more expressive language without swearing; though there are times when no other word will do; like the time I sliced open my thumb sharpening my (fake) MOD4; must have nicked the artery, blood went all up the wall and filled my cupped hand by the time I could get to the sink (one room away in a reasonably tiny house), after 25 mins of elevation and pressure all I had was a blood soaked facecloth that I could wring out, so I put on my CAT tourniquet; those things are extremely useful in the medkit of people who prefer to not wait five hours in the NHS, have some doctor sew it up like it's an art that took him years to learn (from experience, with the driver and suture needle it's pretty hard to go wrong, all you need to be careful is with how much pressure you apply when tying the sutures, as to not rip the skin) so I opted to flush with saline, dry with a sterile pad and absorb any blood left in the thumb wound then superglue it shut. No joke; but the first use of superglue was wound closures, if you don't have horrible skin reactions when it gets on your skin you're probably okay to use it in wounds (most medical glue is the same thing in a different applicator; but with the difference of £20 a use compared to 75p a tube) so long as they aren't prone to infection (animal bites or scratches) but once again I've gone off on a tangent. That's one time where swearing is more than acceptable; in my own opinion anyway, times where I definitely wouldn't find it acceptable would be around ladies, children or the elderly (had to pull a friend to one side for this one; swore in front of an old lady he was talking to while waiting on the bus. He's 21 but to me he's still a child; personally there comes a point in one's life where you become a man (or a woman of course) and it's not when you turn 18); however since this is a board frequented by children I'll try to keep the language to a PG level, at the very least.

Oh and if anyone's wondering about that thumb; it's healed up nicely; left a brilliant scar though.

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
I have been all over the supply Depot in Bicester and the only ones I can find are in a Loan Pool, none on the shelf to issue. I have had my team search the supply system and the knives don't seem to be on there either, I don't think that the MOD really issue them or buy them in any great number anymore, so surplus ones are becoming like hen's teeth.

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Precisely, it doesn't even say British Army style knife it's just "British Army knife"; that is highly misleading, hell; it might even be fraudulent as it says nowhere that it's not BA surplus in the description.
I've already emailed them asking them about the country of origin and the steel the knife is made from; if it's not UK and Sheffield steel they've pretty much committed fraud; but my legalese isn't the best. They've still to mail me back.

Thanks for the reply and I do agree to your point that you can make a more expressive language without swearing; though there are times when no other word will do; like the time I sliced open my thumb sharpening my (fake) MOD4; must have nicked the artery, blood went all up the wall and filled my cupped hand by the time I could get to the sink (one room away in a reasonably tiny house), after 25 mins of elevation and pressure all I had was a blood soaked facecloth that I could wring out, so I put on my CAT tourniquet; those things are extremely useful in the medkit of people who prefer to not wait five hours in the NHS, have some doctor sew it up like it's an art that took him years to learn (from experience, with the driver and suture needle it's pretty hard to go wrong, all you need to be careful is with how much pressure you apply when tying the sutures, as to not rip the skin) so I opted to flush with saline, dry with a sterile pad and absorb any blood left in the thumb wound then superglue it shut. No joke; but the first use of superglue was wound closures, if you don't have horrible skin reactions when it gets on your skin you're probably okay to use it in wounds (most medical glue is the same thing in a different applicator; but with the difference of £20 a use compared to 75p a tube) so long as they aren't prone to infection (animal bites or scratches) but once again I've gone off on a tangent. That's one time where swearing is more than acceptable; in my own opinion anyway, times where I definitely wouldn't find it acceptable would be around ladies, children or the elderly (had to pull a friend to one side for this one; swore in front of an old lady he was talking to while waiting on the bus. He's 21 but to me he's still a child; personally there comes a point in one's life where you become a man (or a woman of course) and it's not when you turn 18); however since this is a board frequented by children I'll try to keep the language to a PG level, at the very least.

Oh and if anyone's wondering about that thumb; it's healed up nicely; left a brilliant scar though.

David, i suspect you would be great fun around the campfire with your tales. :D

Trojan

Silver Trader
Mar 20, 2009
The Countryside
Swearing does have a place in comunication and literature I'll agree, though that place isn't everywhere. Personaly I've found English to be so expresive and nuanced that feelings and ideas can be even more powerfully put forward without swearing by picking the right choice. A bit like the old saying about the "Art of diplomacy being learning to shoot from the lip." :D

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Well said!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE