is this cloudberries?

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
DSC03227.jpg

DSC03228.jpg

it definitely isnt a raspberry ,its growing on a very low ground covering plant not on canes.
the fruit starts green - yellow-dark orange.

any ideas?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
What's the habitat you're finding them in? Looks to me like they might be a variety of raspberries - the trailing habit is no indicator. I've got something very similar looking at the edge of some industrial land near me.

Two things are making me doubt the cloudberry identification. I've looked it up in 3 books and all three agree:
1. None of my books say cloudberry is spiny, like your pictures show. One book says 'downy'.
2. All three books show cloudberry fruits as growing on upright stalks, in a solitary fashion, whereas your pictures show branched and drooping fruit.

I'd say a raspberry variety, but that's no bad thing either. Regardless, enjoy :)

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Not cloudberries but rubus tricolour, often planted around the UK as ground cover. AFAIK the fruit are edibe, I've found them to be a bit plain.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I call them chinese bramble. Councils love them, thick ground cover and doesnt take much looking after. They are covered in soft thorns. The fruit is pretty reasonably alright eating, especially this year when there isn't a lot other than blackberry.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE