Is this belt grinder any good?

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I've been looking for a belt grinder for keeping my sharps sharp, making a couple of knives, and found these for sale.
I'm not sure if the Einhell one will be any good as it looks like the belt doesnt run to the very edge of the plate-I cant tell for sure in the photos. :confused:
I like the idea of a combined sanding disc instead of the grinder. I don't really want a combined bench grinder as I have one already and I can't run to over a grand for a radius master. I also only use scandi grind, no hollow grinds for me.
Has anybody used these models? Thoughts on them? Are they much cop?
Thanks guys. :)

Einhell belt and disc sander- £68.44 delivered http://www.hurst-iw.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=2285

Westfalia Disc/belt sander £74.99 http://www2.westfalia.net/shops/new_products_and_innovations/new_products/tools_and_accessories/new/296637-combined_belt_and_disc_grinder.htm?

Pete.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
The Westfalia one looks like the best buy imo.You would be able to set in the bevels on that machine.It wouldnt be possible to do them on the other one.Ive not used one like on the link so cant comment for sure but it *may* be lacking in power so will be a bit slower doing the bevels.(not a bad thing)
There are loads of folk on Britishblades who use very similar machines with good results.Also theres a bloke on there who sells very good belts for them too.. John1102?Someone help me out here!

Richie'66

Forager
Nov 8, 2010
Banffshire, Scotland
The Westfalia one looks like the best buy imo.You would be able to set in the bevels on that machine.It wouldnt be possible to do them on the other one.Ive not used one like on the link so cant comment for sure but it *may* be lacking in power so will be a bit slower doing the bevels.(not a bad thing)
There are loads of folk on Britishblades who use very similar machines with good results.Also theres a bloke on there who sells very good belts for them too.. John1102?Someone help me out here!

Have to agree with the above and as said John1102 on BB is a right good fella who'll see you right.
The first grinder you can modify a bit with regards to the platen for grinding up a blade to get a crisp cutting edge and that is affix a retangular piece of steel (as wide as the ginding belt but no more) on the flat area. The belt has to ride over this . I've done this myself on a couple of cheapy grinders like the one pictured and it works just fine. Piece of steel affixed using no more nails !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE