Is this a fox?

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
It's a Vixen!

There's another noise that I haven't manage to get a recording of but I've heard on a few occasions - sounds almost like a car unlocking - could that be a male fox answering her or another vixen call?

Some good sounds here... made my dogs look up:

[video=youtube;J6NuhlibHsM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6NuhlibHsM[/video]

Last edited:

Wolfmanuk

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2012
Leeds
There's another noise that I haven't manage to get a recording of but I've heard on a few occasions - sounds almost like a car unlocking - could that be a male fox answering her or another vixen call?

I think that's the Vixen calling her young...

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I think that's the Vixen calling her young...

Thanks - there is a bit in that video that sounds similar about 1:29 in

I've seen one walking along the road at night calling out - I'm on the edge of a town so not sure if they're urban foxes

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Tried that and it says 'windows media cannot play that file'. Yes, i do have itunes. Will have a play around to see if I can sort it.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Vixens certainly have a strange call to our ears, often likened to human baby cries
There's an interesting letter in this week's Shooting Times about unusual fox behaviour.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I can't use the file, but from your description....I agree, it will be a vixen. You will learn to tell of what she speaks of with pr.

Experience. Note the differences in tone and urgency. There will be a lost call for wayward cubs and an urgency call to rteurn to the den in danger. Twenty years ago cubs were born arounr May....now all the seasons are to pot, I've seen cubs as early as xmas !

The dog vary rarely barks. Usually when telling a vixen he is entering her territory or rarely to warn a dog fox that he is making a move into his patch with an intention to mate.

Sent from my E10i using Tapatalk

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Vixens certainly have a strange call to our ears, often likened to human baby cries
There's an interesting letter in this week's Shooting Times about unusual fox behaviour.

I liken the distress call and in pain Squeal of a hair and rabbit, to that of a baby. Foxes very rarely scream ;)

Sent from my E10i using Tapatalk

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
There are no young this time of year, but we are in the breeding season.

Bold statement and wi aht wanting to be disrespectful.....wrong. my mate lamped and shot a cub he reckoned was a couple of months old. Bout the size of a chiwoy . Plus we bolted a dog n vixen paired up at xmas . They carry their young for abaht a month n half. As I said in my post.....the seasons are to pot :(

sent using my sausage thumb

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE