Is this a Chinese copy of an SAS smock or the real deal?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I have just bid on a very nice looking Olive Green Smock on ebay (and have since bin overbid) but on closer inspection the label says Zara Gear Products. The only thing I can see via google for that is a Chinese manufacturer with a base in Bangor, Down. Is this a kosher cotton/Gaberdine/Ventile(ish) smock or just a crude copy. Does anyone know?

sapper326

Jun 15, 2009
Newmarket, Suffolk
Without seeing it i'd put my money on it being a copy. I have a genuine smock however it's in woodland DPM camouflage. Not too sure if there has been an OG one issued?

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Sounds like the company I got mine from. It's a copy. Mine is OG. It is cotton, but normal cotton. They had sewn a label in with a military size. Their warranty terms included washing at 20c! I'm a 47" chest and found the 120cm tight(ish) on the arms when the chest is flexed, which it shouldn't be, but I have to admit it for about £18 it was worth the money. Mine's approaching 3 years old.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Sounds like the company I got mine from. It's a copy. Mine is OG. It is cotton, but normal cotton. They had sewn a label in with a military size. Their warranty terms included washing at 20c! I'm a 47" chest and found the 120cm tight(ish) on the arms when the chest is flexed, which it shouldn't be, but I have to admit it for about £18 it was worth the money. Mine's approaching 3 years old.

This is what I am afraid of especially as it has now gone over £50 with postage.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
It's a fake and its definitely not gaberdine or ventile but looks like some sort of "cotton drill" probably polyester cotton, similar to the stuff they used to make lightweights from but no where near as good quality.

You're well out of that.

Steve

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
I have one exactly the same, it's the same material the lightweight trousers are made from. The build quality isn't too bad. I paid £15 for mine, wouldn't pay anywhere near £50 though.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
I have just bid on a very nice looking Olive Green Smock on ebay (and have since bin overbid) but on closer inspection the label says Zara Gear Products. The only thing I can see via google for that is a Chinese manufacturer with a base in Bangor, Down. Is this a kosher cotton/Gaberdine/Ventile(ish) smock or just a crude copy. Does anyone know?

definatley not from Bangor, Down !! :)

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
To be honest, I'd report that to ebay as a fake. It's pure chincon and deceitful in the way it's described.

Someones going to pay over the odds for that by a significant factor thinking it's something it very much isn't.

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
I have one just like it, mine is definitely a fake but still a good jacket for knocking about in the woods,

PREPER.......... :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE