Is this a birch polypore( AKA Razor strop fungus)??????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nickidan

May 14, 2011
Macclesfield
Hello everyone,

I went out to the woods today to see if i could find a razor strop fungus. i saw this guy high up on a dead birch trunk and clambered up to get it. now im not so sure i got the right fungi:confused:

What does everybody think???

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Yep... Collected a huwge specimen today, just like that...

If you cut a small section off the side, it should still be brilliant white inside and smell slightly of antiseptic.

al.

nickidan

May 14, 2011
Macclesfield
EXCELLENT!!

so as long as shes still white on the inside she'll be alright? anyone know any good links or info on how to turn this into a strop??

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
yep, ive made a few now and love them for honing my blades, i put a few bits about them on my blog if your interested? http://kepisbushcraft.blogspot.com/2011/03/fungus-strop.html.

Rather than cut it flat (nigh on impossible by the way), let it dry, mount it on a piece of wood etc them when the glue has dried, sand it down using a sanding block and medium paper, works for me.

nickidan

May 14, 2011
Macclesfield
[/QUOTE]But what's this bad boy ?.[/QUOTE]

Haha i mean "this thing/it/this mother/this wopa" - excuse my terminology people im australian :)

i hope it was the right one - its drying in my room now - it doesnt look like anything else... i think it was jsut an old and crappy one - its a little brown on the inside

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE