Is there such a thing as a hook for tree huggers?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Just wondered if anyone knew of a hook that attatches to tree huggers, for hanging a bergen on for example. Just thought it would be a great way of keeping my kit off the ground or would there be an easier way (eg buying an extra tree hugger and using a caribiner to hook my bergen on or just using a net hammock as a gear loft) any advice would be great. But thought a hook would be a good idea as it would be small and light and not need any extra equipment.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
just clip a little carabiner onto your free hugger and hang your rucksack from that. i sometimes use a length of thin webbing (the type you get on cheap and nasty rachet straps) with loops sewn in both ends to hang my kit from, i can either pass the webbing round a tree and clip the two ends together with a carabiner or if the size of tree doesn't suit that i can pass one loop through the other so that it holds itself tight around the tree. works for me

stuart

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
just clip a little carabiner onto your free hugger and hang your rucksack from that. i sometimes use a length of thin webbing (the type you get on cheap and nasty rachet straps) with loops sewn in both ends to hang my kit from, i can either pass the webbing round a tree and clip the two ends together with a carabiner or if the size of tree doesn't suit that i can pass one loop through the other so that it holds itself tight around the tree. works for me

stuart

Thanks for that. Any ideas where I could get a bit of webbing as you described from? Had a quick look but not had any joy so far. Seems a waste to buy another set of huggers just to use 1 for kit hanging or will it be ok just using a caribiner on the hugger that the hammock is attached to? Im full of cold at the moment and am easily confused, sorry to be a bit thick.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
poundland or wilkinson, somewhere like that, just look for the cheapest ratchet/cam lock straps that you can find and cut the webbing off them, you wouldn't trust your life to them but they're ok for hanging kit from

stuart

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
I know what you mean but you can do the same just using paracord or some rope (any cordage really). Take a loop of cord and thread it around the tree and then one end through the other, then take the loose end and thread through the backpack top handle and stick a finger thick twig/small branch through the end of the cord thats now through the handle and let the backpack drop. Tension then keeps everything in place and releasing it is as easy as pulling the twig out. Works every time. (you can also just tie the loose end back on itself using an evenk type not). HTH.

Tom

EDIT - Yeah kinda like stu said (started writing a reply and then went away and continued it :) )

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I know what you mean but you can do the same just using paracord or some rope (any cordage really). Take a loop of cord and thread it around the tree and then one end through the other, then take the loose end and thread through the backpack top handle and stick a finger thick twig/small branch through the end of the cord thats now through the handle and let the backpack drop. Tension then keeps everything in place and releasing it is as easy as pulling the twig out. Works every time. (you can also just tie the loose end back on itself using an evenk type not). HTH.

Tom

EDIT - Yeah kinda like stu said (started writing a reply and then went away and continued it :) )

pretty much the same as i said i reckon :) the reason i suggested webbing rather than cordage was that i assumed (maybe incorrectly) that anyone who goes to the trouble of using tree huggers to hang their hammock/tarp/whatever i.e. pauljm116, probably does so because they don't want to damage the bark of the tree, webbing gear hangers do a lot less damage than cordage ones

stuart

Last edited:

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
pretty much the same as i said i reckon :) the reason i suggested webbing rather than cordage was that i assumed (maybe incorrectly) that anyone who goes to the trouble of using tree huggers to hang their hammock/tarp/whatever i.e. pauljm116, probably does so because they don't want to damage the bark of the tree, webbing gear hangers do a lot less damage than cordage ones

stuart

Quite right Stu, I use paracord for my tarp as its light and wont do any damage to the bark, but have recently decided to use straps for anything heavy (ie me!) and my kit. Will have a look for some cheap webbing straps and see what I can knock up.

I use fleabay, much cheapness :)

Will have a look. I should start going straight to fleabay for cheap bits and bobs.

Thanks for all the help guys and girls, much appreciated.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
For cheap webbing try your local B+Q, you can buy it by the meter. My mate uses some stuff from there for tree huggers.

And as previously mentioned you can use a cheap non-load bearing Karabiner, Poundland etc, or...

Consider having a look in your local Decathalon store or similar for a Quickdraw..

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rocky-quickdraw-id_8058344.html

(no connection to either companies etc)

I'm sure you will find no end of uses for a quickdraw around camp. Or just snip the fabric part off and use the 'biners for suspending your hammock.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I tested a mesh gear hammock this weekend - worked very well (once I learnt to clip the sides together to stop the Bergen falling out)

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
thats the way i hang my pack mate, just of the tree where i tye my hammock, and just use a peice of paracord, and carabiner, just the hook the small hank of paracord and the carabiner back on to your pack, when packing up, and the next time you go, its there ready i also find this great when getting things out the pack as i find the pack jsut keeps rolling everywhere when on the floor, and its great when you come to pack up for the same reason, but don't forget if its raining and you leave it on the tree, bitter experiance, and make sure its not a pine tree with lovely pine tar all over it, on your new lovely pack that you just hung from the tree and now have pine sap sticking all over your waist straps, that will never come off bitter experiance.
take care bud.
lee.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
I quite often use a bass bag (mesh type bag used in fishing for keeping your catch in). You can pick them up for £3-£5 or so and are ideal for hanging a few bits of gear in. (Best to use a separate one from one you might fish with or everything you own will soon smell of fish..)

Attach a bit of paracord and a toggle and you can hang it from pretty much anything or clip it onto your hammock straps.

They're also handy for keeping perishables cool (wet the bag and the evaporation lowers the temp) or for simply chilling your beer (if you've included a couple of Guinness in your survival kit...)

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
I quite often use a bass bag (mesh type bag used in fishing for keeping your catch in). You can pick them up for £3-£5 or so and are ideal for hanging a few bits of gear in. (Best to use a separate one from one you might fish with or everything you own will soon smell of fish..)

Attach a bit of paracord and a toggle and you can hang it from pretty much anything or clip it onto your hammock straps.

They're also handy for keeping perishables cool (wet the bag and the evaporation lowers the temp) or for simply chilling your beer (if you've included a couple of Guinness in your survival kit...)

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
but don't forget if its raining and you leave it on the tree, bitter experiance, and make sure its not a pine tree with lovely pine tar all over it, on your new lovely pack that you just hung from the tree and now have pine sap sticking all over your waist straps, that will never come off bitter experiance.

I'm thinking of getting a waterproof cover as I've also had the bitter experience of waking up to a soaked pack and contents, I learnt a lesson that day! :D

I'm sure you will find no end of uses for a quickdraw around camp. Or just snip the fabric part off and use the 'biners for suspending your hammock.

They look very handy, how long is the webbing section on those?

Derek741

Mar 28, 2011
Hertfordshire, England
I've just started using a cheap mesh hammock that I hang under my 'real' one and keep all my gear in there. It saves your kit from rolling around the floor, it's under your tarp if the weather turns bad and you can even reach out from your sleeping bag to grab something out of your kitbag as its just underneath you

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Thanks for all the advice. I do have a mesh hammock, so may try having a kit hammock but have also got some webbing now so will try hanging my bergen from a tree using that and a carabiner. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE