Is there really nobody in the netherlands ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nelis

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Oudenbosch
Hi all,

Just wondering, I have placed a post in the meetup section wich is basically an open invitation for anybody to go bushcrafting in the netherlands in the weekend of 26 to 28th of september. I have arranged for a piece of forest where we can stay and have a campfire, but so far only one person has said he will try to come.

So my question; there seem to be a lot of enthousiast dutchies on this forum, so why has nobody responded. I can think of a few reasons....

1. The post hasn't been seen (unlikely because another post about the winter edition bc weekend did get reply's)

2. The date of the weekend is to close

3. The date of the weekend is still to far away

So I was just wondering what the problem is. As I might want to origanize something else in the future.

leon-1

Interesting Neils, the guys are normally quite receptive, I have just googled the location to see where it is.

Maybe it's a case of a fair distance to travel inbetween working days, I don't know, but I hope you get some more interest. Sometimes it is better to tie these meets to national holidays.

Incidently out of curiosity, is the literal translation of Valkenswaard "Falcon Sword"?

Nelis

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Oudenbosch
Hi All,

I can't really imagine that the travelling is the big problem because the netherlands isn't really that big and outside of the rush hours you can get almost everywhere in the netherlands within 2 to 2.5 hours driving. If you are living really remote it might be 3 hours.
But then again maybe I'm wrong.

I'm starting to think that maybe because of the hollidays most dutch are not online very often....

And no, I'm afrain valkenswaard doesn't translate Falcon's sword, that would be Valkenszwaard. If I were to give an translation it would be more something like the falcon's inkeeper (waard being an inkeeper).

Pantalaimon

Forager
May 19, 2008
Utrecht, Netherlands
I know why I missed the topic, and probably other people too.
The topictitle doesn't say anything about the location, e.g. the Netherlands. Because Europe is big, and there are a lot of topics on this forum, I don't open every topic to read what's it about. It should be clear from the title.

Good initiative! But I will decide probably two weeks before it happens. So its a bit too early yes ;)

And the etymology of Valkenswaard is a bit more difficult (see the Dutch Wikipedia lemma about Valkenswaard)

Nelis

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Oudenbosch
Ah OK that makes sense, so next time I will make the invitation more clear in the topic header.

Does anybody know if I can change the topic header for the existing thread ?

leon-1

And no, I'm afrain valkenswaard doesn't translate Falcon's sword, that would be Valkenszwaard. If I were to give an translation it would be more something like the falcon's inkeeper (waard being an inkeeper).

And the etymology of Valkenswaard is a bit more difficult (see the Dutch Wikipedia lemma about Valkenswaard)

Thanks for the info guys, that's helpful.

Would you like me to change the title of the original thread to include mention of the Nederlands?

If so it should not be a problem:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE