Is there any benefit to the Swedish army trangia?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
I don't mean the pans and windshield, but rather the burner. It's bigger and heavier than the normal burner and from what I understand takes longer to boil a pot of water, which makes me wonder why they didn't use the standard one. Is there any benefit to it - holds more fuel, maybe or is somehow better in colder conditions (though I would have thought one which is smaller and lighter would be better in that regard, as it would be quicker to warm).

Any ideas?

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
In my experience the civvy burner doesn't always seal so well as the military one. Maybe I've just had bad luck with the civvy ones, but I routinely keep fuel in the military one and it never leaks, but after a couple of leaks with civvy ones I no longer leave fuel in them.

The military burner does indeed take a lot longer to 'bloom' than the civvy one, but I find that I can use that to advantage. If I want a low level of heat for ten minutes so as not to burn my food then the military burner will give me that, then I can put some water on to boil for my tea.

Most of the civvy burners seem to come with a 'simmer ring' to allow the flame to be adjusted. I made one for my military burner from the bottom of a tin can.

To top up the fuel while the burner is running I use an old 125ml contact-lens solution bottle. The fine jet of fuel is easy to direct into the throat of the burner, and if you're quick it's easy to put the bottle out when it catches fire. :) :campfire:

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I've have had similar experience as Ged. The military burners have never leaked on me, the civvie jobs are always leaking, and I've had a few. The problem seems to be the crimping around the upper/lower body. It's never quite perfect on the civvie ones.

I did a test earlier this year, as sad as I am :) .

Basic setup as you would with the Swedish mess kit setup, burner with windshield, large pot with lid on and filled with 1 litre of water.

Time taken to boil......

Swedish Army Trangia: 20mins - didn't reach a full rolling boil - took a while to bloom
Unknown Meths Burner: 17mins - had to refil half way through

I didn't write down the times of the proper Trangia burner but it certainly boiled water alot faster than the other two so I use that with the mess tin and cooker setup.

Not sure if these figures help, just what I found. :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've have had similar experience as Ged. The military burners have never leaked on me, the civvie jobs are always leaking, and I've had a few. The problem seems to be the crimping around the upper/lower body. It's never quite perfect on the civvie ones.

Strange, I've never ever had a civvie burner break/leak, you must be jinxed Jonathan. I do check seals on a regular basis.

PS, don't try topping up any meths burner while its still lit or hot...very very very dangerous practise.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
I'm the other way around; I've had two military burners which both leaked and one civvie one which is fine. I had a tatonka one which leaked as well come to think of it. I used some two-part metal adhesive to run a bead around the crimped bit, which worked OK for a bit but then started to come off. I have found no advantage in the military version, to answer the OP!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
It seems so. Every one I've had from new has leaked around the same area.

Were they the real Trangia brand or a clone? I've had a couple of clone burners fail, just poor quality. If genuine I'd send them back, pretty sure Trangia would sort them out for you, I'd be surprised if they didn't. Like I said, you may be jinxed, I am with Tilley lamps; apart from the domestic lamps which work faultlessly I have I've had nothing but grief with my other Tilley's :(

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
possibly the system is used as a buddy buddy system, which means shared between 2 people, this would mean a longer burn time would be needed..... also as others have said, maybe for use in colder weather/melting snow....

regards.

chris.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
Thanks for that, chaps. Never thought of the slow bloom as an advantage, but thinking about it (and after having had to try and clean burnt on scrambled eggs off a trangia pan), I can see how that could actually be useful.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Were they the real Trangia brand or a clone? I've had a couple of clone burners fail, just poor quality. If genuine I'd send them back, pretty sure Trangia would sort them out for you, I'd be surprised if they didn't. Like I said, you may be jinxed, I am with Tilley lamps; apart from the domestic lamps which work faultlessly I have I've had nothing but grief with my other Tilley's :(

Real. Bought from BackPackingLight and other well known shops. Returned then all and still had the exact same problem with subsequent ones that were sent out. Also had the same problem with ones I got from members here. As it was the same fault on all of them (must be at least six I've had now), I just thought it was how they all were, so haven't bothered since and just don't store meths in them.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
also the army burner has a second lip which with over spill functions as a primer in the cold the civy one well they supply a tray for it for this effect

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm the other way around; I've had two military burners which both leaked and one civvie one which is fine. I had a tatonka one which leaked as well come to think of it.

Been there too Dave, I opened my pack one day after a full days walking and found my clothes and sleeping bag soaked in methanol, not nice.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
also the army burner has a second lip which with over spill functions as a primer in the cold the civy one well they supply a tray for it for this effect

The 'civilian' Trangia burner has a similar arrangement for priming. The priming tray is an extra for extreme cold weather.

Trangia2.jpg

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
On a recent trip i used the swedish army pan and windshield set up but used a civi trangia,have used the issue burner but like other's have said takes an age,never (touch wood) had my civi(15yrs old) leak, i also used a whitebox in the windshield again worked great .

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
On a recent trip i used the swedish army pan and windshield set up but used a civi trangia,have used the issue burner but like other's have said takes an age,never (touch wood) had my civi(15yrs old) leak, i also used a whitebox in the windshield again worked great .

Forgive me for my ignorance, but what's a whitebox?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE