Is there an ornithologist in the house?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Whilst I was digging today, the bird below was literally running around and over me. Now, I am used to this from Robins, but never from what I take to be a juvenile Blackbird. Can anyone confirm that's what this bird is? Must have been very hungry - or just "young and dumb"

Juvenile Blackbird by British Red, on Flickr

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Indeed it is a female blackbird.

I've seen a few 'tame' ones but normally when the weather is harsh and they are struggling to find food.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I guess that must be it - whilst I was forking the manure pile she was literally running over my feet - not had that before with blackbirds

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They recognise people. As individuals I mean.
As a child I fed one as she sat on her nest of eggs, and she let me come back again later with worms that she took from my hand to feed the chicks too.
If I sat down in the garden she appeared beside me, but if there was anyone else there, especially another child, she wouldn't come near.
Eventually she would come close if my Dad was working on the boat nearby though.

Handy little birds, fair clear up the pests, but they can make an awful mess scattering loose stuff from beds over the lawns in their rummaging around :)

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE