Is there an 'Ideal' back pack for bushcrafty stuff?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Coming back to my 'outdoorsy' roots I am looking for an ideal bag or perhaps bags... is there one bag that does it all or is that the 'Holy Grail'?

My main access to open space is via my fishing and there are places I want to go that are a little more remote... so its not just about carrying a rod and a fly box... some may be an overnighter or an extended trip, perhaps involving a canoe or watercraft of some sort.

I have tons of bags that were suitable in their day for their purpose but none that fit the bushcraft/outdoorsy/fisherman type... some of the fishing specific bags are OK but that's as far as most go.

Is it one bag or a system of bags... do folk look at style over function or is it function first? Material choice... what is ideal?

Any help and advice would be gratefully received...

Cheers

David

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I'd have to say the Frost River Isle Royale Bushcraft Pack :).

Read my recent review :).

A most pretty pack indeed, I have so far managed to restrain myself from buying one.

Ideal pack? I don't think it exists. I know a lot of people like the Sabre 45, you can zip on side pockets to up the carrying capacity and because it breaks down its easier to stuff into barrels or waterproof bags if you are out on the water.

Additionally it isn't a tall pack, it is wide rather than tall, which makes getting around a wood or forest when off the beaten path a bit easier (you don't have to crouch down so much).

With all that said I think it is a complete dog of a rucksack, I use mine for short(ish) walks from the car to a camp, I would never attempt a long multi-day walk with one. Some folks do though, horses for courses.

My most used pack is the Crux AK47, no side pockets, however I can hang things of the side at a push. It is indestructible and weighs very little. The seams will take me jamming things into the bag with both feet while I hold the straps.

I have used these packs since 2001 and they have never let me down.

You can read a bit about my Crux AK47 in this earlier thread.

Paul Kirtley uses an Sabre 45 and talks about how he packs it here and here.

:)

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'd recommend a pack that stands up to getting dragged through brush, chucked in mud and plenty of volume for all the toys. Military packs are popular because they're tough, with toughness comes added weight so think about how far you're planning to walk with it. Depending on what you plan to carry good shoulder straps and a decent padded waist belt helps to distribute the weight.
I'm a fan of the Karrimor SF range and have the 45 for 3 season and the 75L for winter trips.

I have lighter packs for hill walking but they wouldn't last too long on bushy trips.

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
I've got loads of bags and not one is ideal for everything. I break it down to. Daypack, Overnighter, Weekender and a week. Think, what you will use it most for.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've got it down to three packs which cover all eventualities, and I don't think this trio can be beat:

Daypack - Berghaus Munro, simple, strong and proven over a long time; 30 L and an easy carry.................£40 delivered, new ex-display.

3 Dayer - Surplus (New) Karrimor PRI 45 L, goes big/small easily, will take PLCE pouches and is totally bombproof.................£45 delivered, new, ebay

Week or more - Lowe Alpine Sting 60 L, will take the same PLCE pouches as above, supremely comfortable and bombproof, ex-dutch army.....................£40 delivered, issued, ebay.

The only change I can see me making to this trio is to replace the Karrimor with a Lowe Alpine Strike, but I'm in no rush to achieve this.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Get some leather and canvas and get to it!

My packs:

EDC:
flatsack4.jpg

Bimbling in the woods:
rucksack3.jpg

Overnighters:
pockets6.jpg

None of them too complex to make and all three come in at a fraction of the price of a single Duluth or Frost River pack. OK - I am the first to admit that they don't touch those for quality, but I LURVE DIY gear!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I'd recommend a pack that stands up to getting dragged through brush, chucked in mud and plenty of volume for all the toys. Military packs are popular because they're tough, with toughness comes added weight so think about how far you're planning to walk with it. Depending on what you plan to carry good shoulder straps and a decent padded waist belt helps to distribute the weight.
I'm a fan of the Karrimor SF range and have the 45 for 3 season and the 75L for winter trips.

I have lighter packs for hill walking but they wouldn't last too long on bushy trips.

That about sums it up for me. Bushy kit needs to be tougher than your average hill gear and so a little heavier.
Brambles, thorns, mud etc all take their toll on the lighter weight stuff.
If buying military and intending to do more walking than half a mile from car to camp then make sure the pack fits properly. I have a short back UK bergan I used for a long while and the hip straps were next to useless as they were far too high. Designed to go over webbing and ride far too high without to be of any use. Taking the weight off your back and placing it on your hips is a god send. The size depends on the seasons and the size and expense of your gear, mostly sleeping gear.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have a munro for day's, a predator 45 for summer overnighters and a vulcan for winter overnighters.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
See a theme emerging here? 3 packs seem to do it for a number of folks, a small, medium and large; that's certainly how I do it (as above) and a very handy bonus if you can work it is to have two or more of the packs using the same side pouches - I just zip 'em off the medium and onto the large pack as they'll carry the same stuff - it's only the sleep stuff and clothing that changes (and maybe more bacon!)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Very true! I only use two:

A Fjallraven 20 litre
Frost river isle royale

Main reason being Fjallraven does for one nighters with just a sleeping bag and survival bag to build our own shelter, aswell as for day trips and frost river does the rest :). I used to use a sabre 75 style clone which was good but quite uncomfortable.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria

My packs:

EDC:
flatsack4.jpg

Bimbling in the woods:
rucksack3.jpg

Overnighters:
pockets6.jpg

None of them too complex to make and all three come in at a fraction of the price of a single Duluth or Frost River pack. OK - I am the first to admit that they don't touch those for quality, but I LURVE DIY gear!

Seriously great work!

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
I have a munro for day's, a predator 45 for summer overnighters and a vulcan for winter overnighters.

Blimey Ozzy - I have the exact same set-up! Good choice!

To answer the original question though "..is there one bag that does it all..?", the answer has to be no, because no one activity defines bushcraft (and never ask "what is bushcraft?" :rolleyes:)

Here's another take on it; at some stage during this (admittedly long) video he shows us his Maxpedition Condor something or other, which looks cool (but maybe a bit small imo but hey, each to his own!)

[video=youtube;uFsFbRO-n9E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFsFbRO-n9E[/video]

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
Funny enough I come across your work for the first time today. Fantastic, do you do commissions by any chance?

My packs:

EDC:
flatsack4.jpg

Bimbling in the woods:
rucksack3.jpg

Overnighters:
pockets6.jpg

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Funny enough I come across your work for the first time today. Fantastic, do you do commissions by any chance?

Humble apologies if anyone thinks I was touting for business!:)

I have made a couple for other people in the past but it's not a regular thing by any means.

if you can't find what you want, pm me.

Good luck with the quest!

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I got sabre 30, sabre 45, civvy lowe alping sting 55/60, short back Bergen, long back Bergen, a few side pouches and just got a Vulcan 1 size 3.

Sabre 30 is motorcycling bag now, the 45 is my go to bag. for colder times of year I like the LA sting, and for short trips with others (where I would carry majority of kit) I am going to try the Vulcan.

rg598

Native
If you are looking for the ideal "bushraft" pack, lose the buschraft label, go into any outdoor supply store, and buy yourself a proper backpack. Sadly, these days most buschraft gear is not designed with the person who travels through the woods in mind. Packs without proper frames and hip belts are completely inadequate for long distance travel unless you are going super ultralight. Companies like Osprey, Gregory, Kelty, etc produce great packs, that will offer great weight distribution and carrying characteristics. They are not as trendy or fashionable as the canvas and retro ones, but in terms of performance they are exponentially better. A 50-60L pack with an internal frame and good hip belt like the Osprey Atmos or Exos will take care of most of your needs. You can get ones that weigh in the 3lb range.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE