Is Sycamore Food Safe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
Forgive me for posting generically and even possibly in the wrong place. I have searched for this in the forums and on google and haven't found anything definate so have decided to ask the wise ;)

Have found a trencher in sycamore, unfinished and untreated and just wondered if it would be OK to eat some scoff from.

All the best
Dave

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
Yip,
Sycamore is fine food safe wood and good for carving green i think.

Possibly all it is usefull for mind you

:)

they make flamenco guitars from it (IIRC) and possible violins.
Makes pretty good firewood as well. They're also bloody good at making a mess of our garden and clogging up our gutters. :(

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
Excellent - thats great news, thanks for the info chaps, I shall scoff from a sycamore trencher with confidence!

ATB
Dave

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sycamore is traditionally used for dairy equipment, breadboards and bread making troughs. It's sound and doesn't taint milk or butter or rising dough.

I agree the seeds are a pain, they sprout in every plant pot and crevice in the garden :rolleyes: but see if you catch them fresh ? that wee round bit at the end is a tasty munchy, it tastes a bit like a pea :D

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE