Is single layer ventile waterproof; is double layer breathable?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tagaeri

Jan 20, 2014
West Cornwall
I really want to like Ventile, as I have a preference for natural fibres over synthetic for all sorts of practical and philosophical reasons. However, it seems from what people are saying it is neither waterproof in single layer nor breathable in double layer, which makes me think it's a lot of money for a showerproof shell (especially when potentially waxed polycotton might perform better and dry quicker at a fraction of the cost). Perhaps double layer on the hood and shoulders and single layer everywhere else might be a compromise that would work fine in the winter when you can wear wool underneath, but not for summer when whatever you were wearing underneath would get soaked. What are others experiences? I still want to like it :)

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I really want to like Ventile, as I have a preference for natural fibres over synthetic for all sorts of practical and philosophical reasons. However, it seems from what people are saying it is neither waterproof in single layer nor breathable in double layer, which makes me think it's a lot of money for a showerproof shell (especially when potentially waxed polycotton might perform better and dry quicker at a fraction of the cost). Perhaps double layer on the hood and shoulders and single layer everywhere else might be a compromise that would work fine in the winter when you can wear wool underneath, but not for summer when whatever you were wearing underneath would get soaked. What are others experiences? I still want to like it :)

Yep, you've pretty much summed up ventile in the real world above :) To give you some idea.....I got my single ventile top to go out to Sweden six or seven years ago.....and I've maybe worn it 6 or 7 times since. Tried it at work....nope....tried it in summer...nope....tried it in winter....ok in snow and wind....nope in rain. :) I still like it....but I'm honest enough with myself to know that I like it coz it's considered "bushcrafty", and not because it's a wonder fabric or anything useful like that lol :) Hope that helps ;)

Tagaeri

Jan 20, 2014
West Cornwall
Yep, you've pretty much summed up ventile in the real world above :) To give you some idea.....I got my single ventile top to go out to Sweden six or seven years ago.....and I've maybe worn it 6 or 7 times since. Tried it at work....nope....tried it in summer...nope....tried it in winter....ok in snow and wind....nope in rain. :) I still like it....but I'm honest enough with myself to know that I like it coz it's considered "bushcrafty", and not because it's a wonder fabric or anything useful like that lol :) Hope that helps ;)

Thanks for the honest feedback!

rg598

Native
Like copper_head said above, I think of Ventile as a soft shell, not a rain jacket. It offers good wind protection, will shed light rain for brief periods of time, but will fail in prolonged wet conditions. It's fairly tough, but is heavy and dries slowly.

I'm a big fan of having different layers and using them for their intended purpose. No material is going to be completely waterproof and completely breathable. Even non-waterproof breathable materials like Ventile will stop being breathable once they are wet.

My solution is to carry very light layers that I use and take off for the appropriate conditions. My rain jacket is 100% waterproof, but most of the time, when it is not raining, it stays in my backpack. That way I don't have to worry about how breathable it is. When it starts raining, I put it on. Under those conditions no shell material will be all that breathable. Of course, my jacket weighs 11oz, so I don't mind having it in my pack.

If you have to deal with a lot of wind, bring a separate light weight wind shirt that is very breathable but not waterproof.

My recommendation would be to get a very thin waxed cotton jacket. The waxed cotton will not be breathable, but if waxed well will be waterproof. Keep it in your pack, and pull it out when the rain starts.

There will be rare occasions when you will need to wear your shell when it is not raining (snow storm, etc), and under those conditions you just have to deal.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE