Is Leylandi any good for carving.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Hi all, I've just got hold of sme Leylandi logs, and I was wondering if they are any good for carving.I was thinking about carving a ladle as one of the logs has an ideal shape. Any thoughts. Cheers.
Colin.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
lot of sap in it, soft, not sure about suitability for food items, I can't think of a reason it wouldn't be ok health wise, you could give it a good drying out, there's a good chance it will split. You could put it in the oven on really low for a day or two :D

just get on and see how you go with it...

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
I made a spoon out of some. It is food safe, but does have a slight 'tang' to it at first. I wouldn't describe it as nice to carve, the softness Tony mentioned exhibited itself as a tendency to tear while carving - it was more like trying to carve papier maché than wood. It's on to practice on, but don't expect a nice finish without a fair amount of effort.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I - and others - react badly to the sap - it gives me bright red weals wherever it comes in contact with my skin.....

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Thanks for the feedback, I'll have a go and let you know how it turns out. Sorry to hear that so many people react badly to th sap. I've been handling it this afternoon and just got sticky dirty hands. Again many thanks.
Colin.

PatrickM

Nomad
Sep 7, 2005
Glasgow
www.backwoodsurvival.co.uk
Here you go Mary :)

L-bowl.jpg

Give it a try, I have many items made from this species.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i really like it as a carving wood. if you don't give it time to season you and all your tools (and the dog, sofa, carpet, and favourite coffee mug in my case) end up covered in sap, and it's horrible stuff. i've never had a reaction to the sap but the foliage on the stuff brings me out a terrible rash

stuart

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
i really like it as a carving wood. if you don't give it time to season you and all your tools (and the dog, sofa, carpet, and favourite coffee mug in my case) end up covered in sap, and it's horrible stuff. i've never had a reaction to the sap but the foliage on the stuff brings me out a terrible rash

stuart

Again I'm sorry to hear of these reactions to sap and leaves. I must be thick skinned.
Colin.
p,s I'll make sure it's well seasoned, and it's not coming in the house.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thanks Patrick :)
Much more figured than I recall, but it is a beautiful piece :D

Funny the things we prove to be sensitive to :dunno: fish makes me really incredibly itchy, but Leylandii seems fine; I've used the brash to make a springy bed before now :)
We're all different; would be a bit boring otherwise.

cheers,
M

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE