Is it possible to ripen or otherwise use these hazelnuts?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Hi,

Advice needed, please.

I've been out this fine day to a riverbank I found about a month ago that's blessed with an abundance of hazelnuts.

They're not brown yet, but most are red on at least one side.

image.jpg

Can I ripen them at home? How should I attempt it? Do I need to remove any of the "bits" still attached (sorry if that was too technical:eek:)? How should I store any successes?

Currently they're in a mesh bag awaiting further developments.

Any advice gratefully received.

All the best.

Aug 25, 2014
Denmark
fresh hazelnuts are delicious and seasonal...so i recommend you eat thoose right away....you can get dried nuts all year round, but this time of year is special, so enjoy them while you can

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Thanks to all so far.

I have enjoyed some nuts and will eat more.

I would like to try to keep some nuts so they can be eaten at Christmas along with other foods I've foraged and stored. I suppose I'm planning to develop a bit of an "old fashioned" element to this year's holiday.

If anyone can offer real world storage/ripening advice, I'd be grateful. Some food magazine-type solutions seem to need lots of kit and time, both of which are, unfortunately, limited at present.

All the best.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I've tried a few methods over the years and I've found you need to remove the husk, dry on a tray very well before putting the nuts in a paper bag or card box. If you leave the husks on and/or don't dry they'll go moldy. I've had best results when the nuts are ripe, i.e. most of them virtually fall out of the husk.

When you crack a dried nut the kernels can be quite shriveled, especially after several months, and as I tend to use them for cooking I pop them in a pan with a dash of water and boil for a minute or two. They swell up nicely and taste a bit like a cooked chestnut/hazelnut.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Interesting idea about freezing. If I can get to the trees again soon, I plan to gather a skookum amount so I'll be able to try different approaches.

Thanks again.

All the best.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I've just shelled some from last years harvest, not moldy and still usable. Drying is the key I think and then keeping them somewhere fairly dry.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE