is it me or do people not care!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
I live in dorset, but I work in warwick. I limit myself to only travelling up every 3-4 weeks for a day or 2, just to pop my head in the office and check a couple of things out.

lately however I'm being totally surprised by people's attitude. 2 weeks ago I had to sit in the datacenter for 3 days while people tried to cable up some equipment for me. they eventually didn't bother and I had to do this myself. Nice of them to save me 3 days in the office when I could have done it in 45 mins myself. it then takes me 7 hours to get home through the flood's.

And again, I get someone saying I have to be in work for a meeting today, and I get stuck on the M40 for 5 hours last night. I get in this morning, and what do you know? he's cancelled as it wasn't `convient for him as he's busy`.

Then I get to spend all day trying to get issues resolved, but no-one wants to help - it's so amazing that no-one cares! I've spend the last 5 hours proving it's not a fault with any of my stuff, and only now they're prepared to take a look..

I need a holiday. from workplaces.

:AR15firin

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
That sounds Oh so familiar. It's not you mate, most people nowadays don't give a toss.

I started a teaching job a few years back. There was supposed to be four of us in the department. Two were on long term sick leave. That left me and this 'woman with attitude'. It took me a week to find out where everything was and learn the ropes, then she went on the sick and left me on my own. She didn't give a toss, the manager just told me to get on with it and he didn't give a toss, so I had forty post sixteen teenagers, all with behavioural problems to try and teach. I lasted two months before I became so ill with stress that I went on the sick too. Then I left and started doing woodcraft on my own.

Most people simply don't care.

Eric

David.s

Forager
Jan 27, 2007
Glasgow
www.myspace.com_evil_scrappy
Yup my works the same, Im still technically an apprentice (till next month) and whenever someone asked me to do something i done it, out of respect for my elders, now we are quiet in the garage and whenever i have nothing to do i grab a brush and clean up, and if i ask one of the younger lads to help all i get it a " No **** off" and even the older mechanics are letting them away with it. Peoples attitudes in general are shocking these days.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, that's IT all over... The one that really annoys me is when people book meetings, don't show up on time, and then expect you to drop everything when they finally do show up.

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
gregorach, agree with you! i've been asked to attend meetings all over the place but the ones that annoy me the most are when its abroad, and you have to get up early to catch the 6am flight out, drive a couple of hours on the wrong side of the road, get lost, get stressed, arrive on time - just, and then discover after being led to the meeting room that the guy you are visiting has decided to work from home, so he'll ring the office and do a conference call instead. either that or you get asked to run some trials on a customers machinery and when you get there the production mangager won't let you on the machine.

and of course your boss's will never appreciate the fact that you were up before 4am, spent hours in the car didn't get back till 2am the following day etc...

it happens in lots of professions. such is the way of the world
but don't let it get you stressed, its not worth the hassle.

steve

underground

May 31, 2005
Sheffield
To be honest, unless the company used to operate nearby in Dorset and then upped sticks to Warwick, what have you got to moan about? Are you a contractor?

I work in IT and make a choice - to work locally and be limited to the jobs I can apply for, and the salary / day rates I can expect, Rather than go where the work and obscene amounts of cash is.

If I were employing someone, permie or contractor, and I wanted them in for an hour, then I'd expect them to be there.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
There are still many people that make the effort, yesterday at work, one team was down on numbers, others from different teams pitched in and helped. yes there was someone who came by and was unhelpfully rude, but I reminded myself of the majority that put themselves out to get things done... but there are days when it seems the other way round...

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
It was once suggested to me that if I was feeling unhappy with how I thought I was being treated, then I should make two lists on a piece of paper. One should be the 'bad' things that happen and one should be the 'good' things.

Human memory seems to be very selective and generally seems to recall bad things more readily than good things - e.g. if you have been let down by a supplier on one occasion, that is likely to colour your judgement despite, let's say, 20 or more occasions when delivery was extremely good.

I never made the list, but it was suggested to me (and I suspect is probably true) that the good list would be much longer than the bad one.

Just my twopennyworth.

Geoff

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I believe there are good and bad everywhere. Some of the obnoxious people I have to deal with at the hospital where I work astounds me sometimes and the way people talk down to you if they are a doctor , nurse or especially for some reason a midwife for some reason midwives in this hospital JR Oxford seem to think they are a cut above and talk in a really snotty ' I will have it done and have it done now' sort of way. Extremely rude. Some people are chomping food in my ear when calling, and others start up a conversation with someone else in the middle of me trying to deal with their request, and totally ignore me. You really would not believe how downright rude some people are.
Also look at the behaviour of some of the people grabbing as much free bottled water as they could possibly carry during the floods. Stuff everybody else as long as I'm alright jack !!! I'd even be cynical and go as far as to say that some people wern't even affected by the floods but were there for the freebie water to then sell on. One of the supermarkets reported that people were stripping the shelves of bottled water for 30p and selling it for upto £5 per bottle to the desperate. Look at the behavior of people when that container ship sank and people rummaging through the containers and stealing Bikes and peoples personal possesions.

There are also a lot of good people about too who I'd go out of my way for and give my time too, but there are others that I wouldn't....................not by a long shot.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE