Is it just me or...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
is there something strangely therapeutic about walking in the woods at night in torrential rain wearing decent kit and knowing you're completely dry?

Just got back in from a nice walk with the dog and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I do it a fair bit from this time of year through to the longer days, all this getting dark at 4.30 just doesn't leave enough daylight to get done what needs doing, and I never fail to find peace and a sort of perspective on things whilst walking. When it's really extreme weather I get a real sense of satisfaction from knowing I've done right by Molly the spaniel and therefore I've done right by myself.

What's really cool is that those are the times when I can almost guarantee not to be disturbed by anybody else, so I find it a great way to take stock of what's gone before and to prepare for what's yet to come....

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
favourite seasons now love the dark cloudy days , in fact its been a great week in the west country rain every day :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Being really well-dressed for it and going outdoors in a drenching downpour is a satisfaction.
Pretty much got the place to yourself, even the bugs and the birds seek shelter, it seems.
There has to be at least one village idiot who asks: "Are you wet?"

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Just had a wander around the village with the pup, the rain is harder than before and the wind has picked up, no one else about. A lovely time for a wander.

cleargreenlight

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2013
Redditch
I love it too. When everyone else has hurried inside because it is raining or dark, you feel suddenly free from being watched. It brings such a sigh of relief ; very refreshing to breathe in that washed air. Plus they say walking brings about your best ideas; that, combined with pelting rain, certainly brushes off those cobwebs.

rsmith

Jul 15, 2010
Bristol
Hi, I love it too - as long as your warm and dry it feels like you've got everything you need. Especially if you have a dog waddling along next to you :)
It's related to the feeling of camping in winter and being dry and cosy in your sleeping bag with a hot chocolate while you hear sleet hitting your fly sheet - simple pleasures eh :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I received my TwoDogs RainDogs yesterday. Well, it had to christened. I see from your location you were experiencing very similar conditions to me, just north of Chichester. I had a lovely time out with my torch, it was so torrential the dogs refused to come with me.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
You're not wrong! I like walking in the rain, probably because when it rains, you don't tend to see so many people out, and I am a bit antisocial. Those people who are out are likely to be dog walkers (like me), but generally owners of nice dogs - horrible dog owners stay at home in foul weather.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Can't say i find it therapeutic to be out in the wet but i do feel better when i see its lashing down outside and i can stay in the house all day.

Tonyuk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
It also turns out to be photography which sells.
Pouring buckets or harder makes the images all the more attractive.
Vertical format = has a narrower footprint on a wall. I print all my own to 16x20
Unusual shape = I sold a lot of 6" x 20" rain prints (real silver, analog prints.) $40 each.
NO PEOPLE! The psychology is that the viewer wants to be the "first in" to fantasize about the scene.
Try to shoot a range of shutter speeds to get some action out of the rain +/- wind.

I'd put a 6x9cm back (8 shots/120 roll) on a 4x5 Graflex SuperGraphic, rug up and go for a stroll.
Even 4x5 sheet, Ilford D400 was the very best, soup in Kodak D76.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Lurking in the woods at all hours in a ghillie suit Lithril is not something to boast about. :rolleyes:

There is something very elemental about being out in storms wrapped up well feeling the force of nature driving the wind and the rain. I used to love winter mountaineering for that feeling. Watching storms in the valleys below from the tent. Happy days.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE