Is it just me?? DD Hammock stand.....

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I made a tensa type stand from Screwfix steel cable conduit pipes. Was a bit of a fuss drilling holes to line up through two sizes of pipe to make them telescopic. End result works, but requires a fairly strong ground anchor, one of those Delta Ground Anchor pegs works. Of course, those pipes are darned heavy, and at about 4 feet long, not really packable.

The point of that Handy Hammock stand, and the commercial Tensa is that they are light enough to bike pack or back pack.

hopper333

Aug 6, 2022
South Wales
Yes I'm looking for something light enough to backpack with. I can sort out good guying (build my own from dyneema) and ground anchors (perhaps these? https://bestoutdoor.co.uk/shop/ols/products/titan-ground-anchor-set-of-6-medium-with-nylon-bag-27g) myself.

I have thought about buying some carbon fibre tube and epoxy glueing inner ferrules of a smaller diameter CF. This would be like a fishing rod construction and, with the correct diameters and wall thicknesses, very strong. The question is how light could it be made? The comparison would be with the Tensa Solo I think, which is 850g per pole and I'm sure that could be beaten quite easily but an advantage of theirs is that they telescope for more compact packing. I suppose a telescopic construction is also possible by having multiple pole diameters that are a snug fit inside each other? Then a mechanism for locking it into the open position would be necessary (or at least useful).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE