Is it a common puffball?

combatblade1

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 1, 2007
"I won't have a Spydi"
A friend of mine Found a few of these this afternoon on the way from work am pretty sure it is a common puffball what do you folks think?

dscn1861yt7.jpg

dscn1864no1.jpg

dscn1858am5.jpg

dscn1860uo1.jpg

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
It certainly looks like a puffball to me. Was it white all the way through? If so, it's good to eat. I haven't found many this year, in fact the only ones I did find was at the last Delamere trip, apparently they haven't been seen growing there before. I scoffed 'em!

combatblade1

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 1, 2007
"I won't have a Spydi"
Spam, it was white all the way through and just like a marshmallow, its the first time i have had one in my hands but my friend told me where he found it that there are loads.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Looks like what we call a 'parelstuifzwam' (Lycoperdon perlatum) to me. In that case - edible when still rigid inside. They go mushy inside when older and you don't want to eat them then. ;)

fotoboek.php

-Emile

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Don't forage them all, especially if they're in a secluded spot. If you let some turn, they will cast their spores and you will have some more to eat in a week or two. You could have found a good resource there, keep its' location under your hat!

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Found one like this the other day on Blackheath , loads of fungi dotted about the place, not lots of one species, lot's of different species in small numbers, very odd. The good lady was not impressed of my limited knowledge of the strange little things, coupe of small puffball's, not for long though, place gets mowed every few days :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE