Is ash food safe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Just checking, I'm sure it is but is ash food safe?

I have a project coming up (lockdown permitting!) which involves cooking meat on a kind of lattice using debarked green ash shoots. I'm saying ash because I know there is an abundance of ash in the area I'll be going too.

I've used various in past including hazel, oak, sycamore and beech but I can't ever remember using ash.

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yes, it's safe. I have Ash platters that are thirty+ years old, and they are and have been in constant use with no issues.
It's a lovely timber, and like Sycamore is sound in the kitchen....and takes scrubbing too :)

Reactions: Nice65

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
In your application, debarked fresh ash branches ought to work well.
Not a lot of tannins so I would not expect the wood to impart much additional flavor to the meat.
I'd be far more concerned about the ash burning and dropping your meaty things into the fire.

Cooking salmon like that, we stand the fish up vertically beside the fire, not on top of it.
Better control over how much smoke taste you get, too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE