Is aluminium any good?

a1993h

Oct 27, 2010
Ireland
Hey guys,
I'm wondering if aluminium is as good or close to stainless steel. I bought a cheap argos mess kit that was really cheap aluminium but does good quality stuff hold up well as a pot?

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
I found aluminium pots great! they're light and washes easily, they're cheap and I have two of them :) Loads of soups were made in those.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think folk seem to favour stainless because it's a bit easier to keep clean, there are also some health concerns but nobody seems to have a definitive answer on that one yet.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Aluminium is fine stuff - watch you don't boil anything dry though or it can melt if left on the heat with nothing in it. It can be pretty reactive stuff, but most of the common compounds are relatively inert. Stainless is easier to keep a high shine on than Al. but that slightly dull patina used Al. gets is very easy to keep clean. Too many people assume 'not shiny' equals 'dirty' which isn't the case. Avoid scrubbing/scouring it as you'll scratch the surface, some detergent and a soft cloth or your hands is all you need.

Cheers,

There's been lots of discussion on Ally/ SS/ Titanium here and I think the consensus was "each to their own". Rik_uk3 (resident stove expert and experienced outdoor chef) swears by aluminium for it's light weight and heat conductivity. My problem with it is that I can taste it whenever I cook in it or make a brew in it. I've experimented with titanium as well - to try and lighten my load - but in the end I've always gone back to SS.

Like I said - each to their own - do some kitchen and "back garden" tests with it and see if it works for you (including the cleaning up under field conditions) - and if it works, you have a winner! Don't then be tempted by the latest "must have". Like I said - I started with SS (which worked), then spent a stupid amount of money experimenting with different materials, before returning to SS where I think I'll stay!

Fin

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi just as a guide, it's said that boiling fruit will cause problems.

something to do with acid.

also there was a rumour it was linked to altzeimers, or similar neurological conditions, but I'm not sure it's been proven.

it's very easy to buy Aluminium cooking equipment in the UK if it was a serious threat they'd bann it, (think about the rules and regs we have).

Trangia have been using it for years.

just don't use aluminium all day everyday.

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
From the Alzheimer's Association
Myth 4: Drinking out of aluminum cans or cooking in aluminum pots and pans can lead to Alzheimer’s disease.

Reality: During the 1960s and 1970s, aluminum emerged as a possible suspect in Alzheimer’s. This suspicion led to concern about exposure to aluminum through everyday sources such as pots and pans, beverage cans, antacids and antiperspirants. Since then, studies have failed to confirm any role for aluminum in causing Alzheimer’s. Experts today focus on other areas of research, and few believe that everyday sources of aluminum pose any threat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE