Is a tiny heating stove possible from this?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
A New Years Eve left over; a 5ltr Heineken keg.
I know I could knock up a simple (or not so simple) wood burner from this, but any tips for making a small heater for inside my DD XL tarp?
I have press studs attached to my XL to close the "doors" in winter and I noticed that with this keg I can easily attach a 1 inch corrugated metal pipe to take the fumes out of the tarp.

Do you think it possible? I could always use my CO detector to be on the safe side as my XL tarp will be pitched down to the ground but I think a little bit of heating on a miserable day would be great.

Any opinions/tips gratefully received.

Arry Orse.

IMG_2233.jpg

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
The best heater for a small tent or closed-up tarp is a Trangia burner in its windshield.

Last edited:

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Not to mention carbon monoxide and nasty methys smell.

I don't suffer nasty smells (not from the fuel anyway :)) as I use Methanol, but again it's an expense. Fallen dead-wood is free.

I'm not expecting "Frontier" efficiency but thought a small stack of chunks of wood would burn for long enough to provide some decent heat. I'll make a little door on the heater too, think beer keg stove but in miniature.

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Doesn't that create a lot of condensation?

No more than any other un-flued heater.

Not to mention carbon monoxide and nasty methys smell.

All heaters will produce CO and even flued ones can dump lethal amounts into your tent, unless they are a sealed system which is unlikely in the average small portable tent stove installation. As has been said, you don't have to burn 'smelly' meths.

I use Methanol, but again it's an expense. Fallen dead-wood is free.

It is, but it ties you to locations where suitable fuel is available, and then there's all the prep.

Whatever you use to heat your tent/tarp, adequate ventilation is of paramount importance.

Last edited:

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Cheers for that Ian.
Prepping wood is not a problem, that's all part of Bushcrafting and is more rewarding than just filling a trangia imo.
I use a well tested CO alarm at home which i could use out and about too so I'm not overly concerned. I appreciate that ventilation is key, but I won't be having fitted carpets and double glazing and was hoping the usual draughts would do the trick.
I have a length of 1 inch dia metal piping which I could attach to the top of it, my thinking being it would help take any smoke outside as well as some CO.
Again, I'm not under estimating your advice re CO poisoning, but the tarp would never be like a sealed tent and a fully tested alarm would be used.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Trangia burner or gas lantern in a well ventilated tent will be far far far better than the accident waiting to happen faffing about with wood burners in small tents IMHO.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Trangia burner or gas lantern in a well ventilated tent will be far far far better than the accident waiting to happen faffing about with wood burners in small tents IMHO.

Nothing "humble" about your opinion when it comes to heaters/stoves Rik. Your reputation precedes you.

Buggane

Jul 30, 2012
Isle of Mann/ Liverpool
My dad used to use a small diy stove in his tarp when he used to go camping now it's a permant feauture in his shed. as long as the tarp is kept away from direct heat I'd say your onto a winner.

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Give it a go. It's not the way I'd go under a tarp, but I'll be interested to see how it pans out. I've been giving thought to something a bit bigger for my Tundra 3, solely for heating and based on say, a 9L fire extinguisher.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It's steel and quite rigid too. I wouldn't use Ally either and I know I'll need to burn off the paint before use etc.

In that case why not? It'll be a fun project regardless of the outcome. Bit of 3mm sheet will get a small cooking surface too!

Go for it...it'll be a great lesson if nothing else

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
Personally I've never used a stove inside a tent as they produce alot of CO unless they burn very cleanly but every type of fuel has atleast some imcomplete combustion which produces CO. I just put up with the cold.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Nothing "humble" about your opinion when it comes to heaters/stoves Rik. Your reputation precedes you.

Just being honest chap, I see people making stoves for those Polish poncho tents et al and it really really worries me. I get concerned so say what really someone has to say and when someone gets hurt I won't loose sleep at night; no offence meant.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE