Iron Pyrites

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hillwalker

Nov 28, 2004
the Wilds of Lough Gur
Hi All,

I want to create my own stone age fire lighting set. Do any of you
know where I can get or can anyone recommend a source for Iron Pyrites ?

Many thanks for the Help

Hillwalker

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
eraaij said:
On the other hand, I did some searching on the net and came upon this:

http://storeforknowledge.com/Pyrite-Mineral-Rock-P5136C255.aspx

I have only experience with marcasite, but its chemical composition is the same as pyrite.

0.99 for a lump like that is not much.

-Emile

Pyrite like the stuff sold there isn't really suitable for firelighting as its too coarse grained and will have a tendency to fragment when struck. Also, lumps of pyrite sold in mineral shops tend to be quite small, and it's a lot easier to hold a larger lump. If you can find a lump of fine grained pyrite, perhaps plum-sized or larger, you're on to a winner.

Pappa

hilltop

Banned
May 14, 2006
edge of the peak district
Pappa said:
Pyrite like the stuff sold there isn't really suitable for firelighting as its too coarse grained and will have a tendency to fragment when struck. Also, lumps of pyrite sold in mineral shops tend to be quite small, and it's a lot easier to hold a larger lump. If you can find a lump of fine grained pyrite, perhaps plum-sized or larger, you're on to a winner.

Pappa
the bit i got is about the size of a satsuma, fine/medium sized grains, works fine,

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Pappa said:

Pappa

Hmmm, the marcasite piece that I have is not big at all. I discovered that a sharp piece of flint (in my case) and careful/extensive preparation of the tinder is the key to making fire this way. If I can get a spark from the stone it, it works for me.

But I do not have experience with Pyrite and its different form could as well make it difficult to get that spark at all. Trying it is the way to go, I guess.

-Emile

BobFromHolland

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 9, 2006
Rotterdam, NL
eraaij said:
You can order marcasite or a complete stone age kit from this Dutch site: http://www.het-stenen-tijdperk.nl/

This guy is an active practitioner of stone age skills. Very nice bloke to deal with. I have one of his marcasite-kits and they work great.

-Emile

That sure is a nice site! Got me all enthousiastic. Still struggeling with the hand drill for now, but I sure will give one of those sets of flint and marcasite kits a go when I master this.
Bob

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
eraaij said:
Hmmm, the marcasite piece that I have is not big at all. I discovered that a sharp piece of flint (in my case) and careful/extensive preparation of the tinder is the key to making fire this way. If I can get a spark from the stone it, it works for me.

But I do not have experience with Pyrite and its different form could as well make it difficult to get that spark at all. Trying it is the way to go, I guess.

-Emile

I suppose you can use any sized lump of Pyrite/Marcasite, but as it needs to be struck quite hard, I much prefer to have my hand a safe distance away from a lump of sharp flint moving with great speed and force towards it. :D

I prefer a larger lump as it's easier to hold and safer too.

Pappa

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE