Iron pyrites wanted!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
Good find mate. Have you struck it with flint yet ?, does it produce a spark. If it does, pm me please, let me know what you want for it (if you have some available). Well spotted.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Not shore if this will be suitable as is reasonably flaky?

There may be better stuff farther up but did not have the time to explore.

The bit I tried with was like a nodule of rusty iron to look at - not as "grainy" as that looks. Doesn't mean that won't work though - only a try will sort that out :)

It does need to be struck to strike small bits off and the friction must ignite it - so too soft certainly wont work.

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Good find mate. Have you struck it with flint yet ?, does it produce a spark. If it does, pm me please, let me know what you want for it (if you have some available). Well spotted.

Will need to find my flint 'n' steel set first.

The bit I tried with was like a nodule of rusty iron to look at - not as "grainy" as that looks. Doesn't mean that won't work though - only a try will sort that out :)

It does need to be struck to strike small bits off and the friction must ignite it - so too soft certainly wont work.

Aye I'm thinking it's to soft but will try it, and might have a better look with more daylight over the weekend if I can.

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
I can definately get a spark with the stuff I sent you. The sparks are best seen out of sunlight. But I don't know the name of the particular polymorph. Descriptions I have read would suggest it is marcasite.

Nick P

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I can definately get a spark with the stuff I sent you. The sparks are best seen out of sunlight. But I don't know the name of the particular polymorph. Descriptions I have read would suggest it is marcasite.

Nick P

Cheers nick, I guess I'm trying to accumulate some different sorts to see what works for me because there's none around here.

thanks again mate :).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE