Irish bushcraft schools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Since there are quite a few Irish people posting on the board now, I thought I'd ask about Irish bushcraft schools.

I'm interested in attending one of the courses offered from the two bushcraft schools below. I know a fair bit about bushcraft/ survival skills and am a keen outdoor enthusiast, but I have never done any formal courses.
I'd be interested to hear first hand experiences of either, or suggestions for alternatives, or even general impressions base don the information they provide.

http://www.mactirebushcraft.com/
I was interested in the Greywolf course offered here.

http://bushcraft.ie/
It seems you cannot do any of the courses with this group without doing their basic bushcraft essentials course. I know their are reasons for this, but it could be about getting more money form you.
It says an axe and knife are included in the price, but I have my own custom made knives and gransfors bruks small forest axe, so these 'extras' may be a waste of money to me.

One thing that I am not comofrtable with is that you cannot bring your own knives or cutting tools to these schools. I'd feel very uncomfortable with this purely on the grounds of not having my own equipment which I trust along with me, particularly in strange surroundings.

I look forward to hearing your views on the matter

Rosahane

Jan 21, 2013
Ireland
Unfortunately I don't have any knowledge of either course. However, I see that the bushcraft.ie one is based in Lisnavagh near where I was born. It's a really beautiful estate with lots of old broadleaf woodland and is well worth visiting. They have a number of enterprises on the estate including Bunbury Boards. Have a look on the Lisnavagh or Bunburyboards websites.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Colm Mahon, the instructor at Mactire Bushcraft, is very good indeed. I was lucky enough to be on the same instructor's course run by John Rhyder at Woodcraft School. His work, attitude to and interest in bushcraft knew no bounds. The lessons he delivered were given with both quiet patience and a great sense of humour, qualities which I know will find their way into any course he leads. He is a very effective teacher with a deep knowledge of his subject but, at the same time, a willingness to adapt and adopt new or different skills that perform the task more efficiently.

So, while I cannot claim experience of his courses, I do know the man and have seen him operate in a learning environment. I hope this helps you in your quest for a course and/or greater experience of bushcraft.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Tiley, that's great to hear some first hand experience of Colm. As an educator myself it's great to hear about people who have a passion for what they teach and a good approach and attitude.
I've sent them both an email with a few questions about how well their courses are geared up for someone with a basic knowledge looking to learn more. So I guess how they answer will also help my decision.

You could always contact the guys at the Irish Bushcraft Club, they don't run formal courses but will share knowledge freely and graciously, it's a wonderful group of guys who know how to make you feel welcome and will astound you with their incredicbly extensive knowledge, which they are too humble to brag about..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE