Ipk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
HI does anyone know the weight on the IPK? i was thinking of getting one for a cheap solo tarp for quick bivying and getting some clingons for attaching paracord? my 3x3m is sometimes an overkill.

also whats the material like, would it be noisy like a builders tarp, i havent seen one in the flesh...

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
it has great poles, long line of white paracord and a sheet ideal for making a shelter. weigt not sure pretty positive it has no eyelets easy thing to add though.

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
Not sure about them having poles??? They come with lots of pegs, ready threaded with white cord. Ideal for making your slit trench better protected from air burst artillery, but for all the faff of putting in eyelets and ending up with a smaller tarp, I'd not bother. If you really want a smaller shelter, snap fasten a couple of 58 ponchos, or similar, together. At least you can always use a poncho as clothing - IPKs were just a way of kidding ourselves we'd be safe from a full on barrage from a division of Soviet artillery! (Yeah, yeah - I do know they are quite good for that and have been used to effect, but personally I think the surplus shops have stocks of these things and everyone is trying to find a use for them. No one I knew in the army ever made any useful shelter from an IPK (apart from aforementiontion 18 inches of overhead cover) - a flash basha involved a US poncho, or a SASS DPM hootchie. Just my 10 cents.

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
They're also very variable on the state of the tarp (some of them seem to go 'sticky').

The pegs are good, the line is terriblee......and the tarp is uber basic. I really wouldnt bother. I chopped one down to use as a groundsheet and it leaked like a leaky thing.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Over the years I have used several IPKs as ground sheets and found them ideal - cheap, hardwearing, no leaks even after hard wear and coming with loads of good quality white cord. They are not too heavy and pack reasonably small and do not rustle too much.
I have never realy found a use for the pegs though....
I rate IPKs - but only as groundsheets :)

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I use one for a groundsheet, been going strong a couple years now. The sheet itself costs a couple quid. Get one and see how it works, if you ask here you gets loads of opinions. Yours is the only one that matters here!

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i might call into military mart and try to look at one in the flesh first been meaning to call in there seen as though its fairly local and i buy from them alot lol. I hear its an aladdins cave...

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
http://www.militarymart.co.uk/index.php?search[keywords]=Ipk&_a=category

I got loads for a pound each couple of years ago, gave them away as prizes at a survival weekend. Pegs were great in rocky ground, whacked em in with a lump hammer, chord was good quality, used one as a washing line, still up now lol. The sheet was good, waterproof, hard wearing but no eyelets and if memory serves, not really big enough to use as a tarp or a decent sized bivvy.

i buy a lot of stuff from theses guys but not connected in any way

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
cool thanks for the weight i think they are about 3ft wide arent they? i reckon with clingons it could make a good basha maybe even as a gear basha to free up sleep room under a solo one?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE