Iodine to be banned in europe...??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
Buy Iodine crystals and make it yourself.
stirthepot.gif

amateur chemistry.....surely that has been banned already:)

A friend recently sent me a book, "New Laboratory Experiments in Practical Chemistry", copyright 1936. A very different text compared to similar published today(lots of banning since).....there it is, experiment #45 Iodine-Preparation and Properties.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
Will it still be used in school or what. Just finished school, but used it all the time in school. It is really useful

well, as it is the test for starch, and an important part of the iodine clock method, both of which are fairly important parts of GCSE and AS/A2 science respectively, I would say that educational use should be fine.

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
Iodine is so yesterday! and tastes frankly eeeeuuu even after applying so 'screening ' like vitamin C (although that part is good for you!)

Heads up: KATADYN Micropur Forte Sodium Hypochloride + Silver chloride
Disinfects and protects water for up to 6 months-
As used on many expeditions (and by myself in Africa) in conjunction with Katadyn's Pocket Filter-
IMHO, the best combination you can get for reliable, cleaned, high volumes of water (0.2 micron ceramic depth filter -cleanable) and no batteries required.
Let's face it- Katadyn give a TWENTY YEAR guarantee on this filter- says a great deal -
Tip:
when buying the Micropure Forte Check the expiry date- many shops stock it for a long time and if often it is within a few months of its use by date.
The liquid is way cheaper than the tablets by a very long mile- Not as practical but using a diabetic syringe, you can measure up the right dose and they are tiny! 1ml per 10 litres of water

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
Iodine has many uses and removing it from use in one area does not prevent it being supplied for use in others......I'm thinking photography here.....reletively large amounts available to the public for this usage and as we all know the more you buy the cheaper it is.....once bought how one uses it is up to the individual provided you are not breaking any laws or harming anyone.....
The problem as far as I can see is that by buying it this way and using it for another job is joe public may not use the correct amount! Does 5ml = one tablet?
So the act of merely banning the use of something just because no one has proved it works......could inadvertantly promote the unsafe use of the same item supplied for a different use!
Would it not have been better to make it compulsary to have a warning on the packet "This product has not been proven to achieve the task it is being sold for"?

I am still of the firm belief that the only things that should be banned are bans.

Smoggy

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
well, as it is the test for starch, and an important part of the iodine clock method, both of which are fairly important parts of GCSE and AS/A2 science respectively, I would say that educational use should be fine.

cool, we can just nick it from schools. :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE