Iodine banned?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
Yesterday I visited Tamarak outdoors and got chatting with the guy there about water purification. He was saying that it was now against the law to sell iodine based systems for water purification :yikes:, which I was extremely shocked and surprised to hear.

I hadn't heard anything about this before and was somewhat scepitcal so I decieded t investigate further.

As far as I can tell its not against the law but is on a list of chemicals not being supported under the EU Biocides Directive. List available to download here.

But fear not! Tincture of iodine is still available to buy over the counter at most chemists, who sell it as an antiseptic. The ban is only on Iodine for human consumption. This is where I get mine anyway as its the same stuff branded for water purification but at a fraction of the price.

I am aware of a few retailers which post on here so to them I would advise contacting Thornton and Ross and stocking the 25ml bottles of Iodine tincture as an antiseptic, leaving it up to the final user as to the application.

If anyone else has any more information I'd be interested to hear.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Good, so Squeeks is OK then....

DSC05209.jpg

DSC05705.jpg

Last edited:

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
What is rather stupid here is the fact that iodine is often part of the first stage treatment of something which is then going to be filtered so there is no chance of being contaminated with the iodine.

Me I would much rather see chlorine banned in swimming pools, horrible stuff.

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
No, you miss the point. It isn't potential ingestion of iodine that is at issue it is the efficacy of iodine as a biocide for water purification. Whilst we all know it works, it is not certified and therefore cannot be sold for that purpose.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
No, you miss the point. It isn't potential ingestion of iodine that is at issue it is the efficacy of iodine as a biocide for water purification. Whilst we all know it works, it is not certified and therefore cannot be sold for that purpose.

Great, what genius is responsible for that?

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Iodine is used in the manufacture of methamphetamine. I expect its availability will be seriously curtailed in the near future. By the way it is also sold under the name of Lugol's Solution. It is the same thing. Iodine and distilled water. You might try that route. Lugol's Solution is mostly sold to biology labs, etc. but has been used in human consumption for probably over a hundred years. Safe if used properly. The occasional disinfecting of water with it would not hurt you if you used the proper proportions.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Lurch said:
Simply it's because the costs of getting it certified for usage are too high versus the level of sales.
Just want to point out here, testing one chemical is no more or less expensive than testing another. It doesnt cost any more to test iodine than it costs to test chlorine.

Lurch, do you know what this has done to the legality of iodine impregnated water cleaning systems like the Drink-Safe and Aquapure Traveller?

Last edited:

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
From experience of similar EU regulations I believe this makes their sale for water purification purposes similarly illegal, the manufacturers are under the impression that they are exempt because the iodine is not transmitted to the water for ingestion.
I believe they are wrong because it is not the safety for ingestion that is at issue but it's promotion as a biocide for water purification purposes. That being the case I believe it only a matter of time before they are told to pack it in or get certified.
For the time being it's business as usual for them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE