Iodine & Steel doesn't mix

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushwakka

Feb 10, 2005
wherever I lay my soul
Quick, quick check your kit!!

I just opened up one of my small survival kits that was stored in a small tobacco tin. To my annoyance I found that the inside of the tin, fish hooks and saw blade were badly corroded. :yikes: The area of most damage was in contact with a small glass bottle that contained my iodine water purification tablets. The bottle only had a plastic stopper rather than a screwcap (therein lies the lesson...! :banghead: )

I won't make that mistake again.

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
This is one of the reasons I carry KMnO4 in my mini-kits. The other being I haven't found a small dark glass bottle with secure lid to carry iodine tablets in. You can also get chlorine tablets to treat water. I had a plastic and foil flat of them that fit well in my kit but I used them up and haven't found a distributer for them yet in Brazil.

Iodine will turn your starchy food bright blue. I made some funky looking oatmeal for my kid once. If you treat it with ascorbic acid it won't do that. Mac

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Little bottles of 'fragrance oil', sold at 2 or 3 for a £1 in the smaller pound stores are worth it just for the bottles, these are small, sturdy glass bottle with really good sealing caps. Washed out and laid on a radiator to dry thoroughly before re-filling, they don't spill and the caps are air tight too.

Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE