Invite: 2017 Yukon Bushcraft Camp/Course & Canoe Trip (June 2017)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England

Coast of Greenland

Ice fields

First food after landing

Im not going to dwell to much on Vancouver as I dont want to offend anyone. As a city it's just not for me. It's really made me want to get on this next plane and put it behind me. Very excited for Yukon

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Poutine? Most of us locals have an allergy to quebecois culinary tragedies.

Yeah, London, Vancouver, Melbourne, a same-ness to them all.
Got kids in YVR. After 7-10 days, I gotta get out.
Where do you land, Whitehorse? Family in Dawson City, YT.

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
Well im back, very tired as I had some car issues driving back from Gatwick and real life has started straight away.... No rest for the wicked and all that.

I will get some pictures and words up in the coming days. Over all I had a really good time, Fabian is a brilliant bloke and his Bushcraft Yukon project is a really cool and interesting life choice.

If anyone has the time and finances to make a trip happen I wouldnt hesitate to recommend contacting Fabian.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Customs were looking for ferro rods? Huh?!?! Customs, not flight security? We visited Alberta a couple of times, three and six of us, and never encountered that. Did they say why Canada doesn't like them coming in with luggage?

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
Yes, flight security... Not Customs, sorry.

I haven't verified they are correct yet but they told me it was illegal to fly with them anywhere in a plane in Canada. They brought me into a room with my bag already in a scanner so I'm guessing they either scan all luggage or I got unlucky and got random searched.

They could care less about the knives or stove (which looks pretty IED like at first glance if you don't know what it is), they pulled me up about the lighter I had forgotten about but were happy once it was in my pocket and not hold luggage.

The ferro rods though they were not having at all, I talked them into letting me go back out and post the rods. But made me feel that this was pushing their good nature.

All in all it only took about 30 minutes but I was relatively lightly packed.

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
The only thing I can find after a very quick search is from Air Canada (I flew with WestJet), it could disqualify Fire Steels if taken literally.... The other thing that I find surprising is that MRE's are specifically prohibited.

:Lighters:

Only one of the following items, intended for individual use, is permitted when it is when carried on one’s person (e.g. in pocket or purse):

One (1) Bic-type butane lighter, OR
One (1) USB lighter, OR
One (1) book of matches
No other type of lighter is accepted in carry-on or checked baggage.

For departures from the United-States, Bic-type lighters are the only lighters accepted past US pre-clearance checkpoints. Fuel refills are not permitted in either carry-on or checked baggage.

EDIT: I'm on the CATSA website and I can't find Ferro Rod or Fire Stick or anything similar mentioned as a prohibited item.

Last edited:

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Glad to hear you had a great time Marc!!
Can't wait to see the trip report and photos bud!

FYI :

I have recently flown from GB to mainland Europe and back again ....

on my belt I carried a altoids tin , full of charcloth and amadou (left the Chaga out as it looks a bit too much like pot)
as well as a sharp flint stone and an oval steel striker inside the tin.
Nobody in security even questioned it . :)
It passed straight through .

A friend, intentionally flew with a full size ferro rod in her hand luggage , with no problems at all either. Just to try it out and that went straight through as well .

I think concealed items raise suspicion , if you keep them in plain sight there should be no worries.
:)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE