Invite: 2017 Yukon Bushcraft Camp/Course & Canoe Trip (June 2017)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
The dates are good for me and the financials are just doable. Theres a couple things I really need to know though.

Am I right for this trip and/or is this trip right for me? I don't have a whole host of skills to share and so would likely be more of a taker of information and knowledge. Im pretty enthusiastic though and normally a pretty quick learner.

I am in pretty good health and am willing to try my hand at almost anything. I.E Im more than capable of pulling my weight.

I have a modest selection of equipment so if anything speciallist or expensive is needed that I don't have it could quite possibly push me into unaffordable.

Advice welcome to help me either commit confidently or realise it's not for me right now.

All the best

Marc

Bushcraft Yukon

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2015
Canada
@ValeTudoGuy: Hey Marc, both offers of this invitation, the camp and the canoe trip, are suitable for anyone who is in reasonable physical shape and fit in the head! If you have common sense and an interest in bushcraft and wilderness travels - this is for you!

There is no special equipment needed. You are expected to bring your own sleeping bag, mattress, spare clothes and rain gear...and a few other bits and pieces...like toothbrush and such. I can supply some tents for those who don't bring one, I do provide all canoeing gear, the cooking stuff etc. If you send me a PM with your email address (don't post it here!), I will send you the gear list and some other info regarding this camp/trip.

Your skill set: You may think you have nothing to offer, but I have never met anyone who couldn't contribute to the group in a positive way, if they only wanted to. And even by being there and asking questions others can benefit from your participation. I changed up the format for this year and will run a full course in the first week. If anyone wants to join in and teach stuff - great! If you "only" want to participate, listen in, do some hands-on practice - just as great! This is supposed to be a fun week with some enjoyable time in the woods and a relaxed learning experience for all those who want to learn more about the Yukon woods.

Either week can be "mastered" by a newbie! It totally depends on what you prefer. One week is a camp set up and we run a course on a variety of bushcraft topics. Second week is a river trip, where we put some of the things learned into practice. But on this trip you can still pick up a lot of stuff from others as we move downstream.

I hope we will see you in Whitehorse!

Cheers,
Fabian

Bushcraft Yukon

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2015
Canada
It's all coming together nicely! We will be five folks for the camp/course and another gentleman from Canada is joining us for the canoe trip. I am so looking forward to this! See you all in June!

Fabian

Chekmate

Jan 24, 2016
Canada
Hey! Fellow Bushcrafters,

I'm the Canadian join you on the Yukon River Canoe trip in June 2017. Figured I'd say a quick hello, from Canada.:beerchug: Should be a lot of fun!;)

Keep Your Tinder Dry
Chekmate

Chekmate

Jan 24, 2016
Canada
Hey! ValeTudorGuy,

Are you there for the two weeks of bushcrafting and canoe trip?

I don't know about you. I'm having a hard time keeping the weight down to 50lbs or less for the airline.

Keep Your Tinder Dry
Chekmate

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
Im there for 2, im probably going to struggle too. I suppose the options are to either ship some stuff out first.... Or more likely for me, take essentials and buy some cheap stuff over there

Chekmate

Jan 24, 2016
Canada
I'm only there for the canoe trip portion. One of my major weight items is my synthetic sleeping bag. I would like to bring my down bag but worried about it getting wet. Also, gonna leave my favorite knife at home for the trip.:( It's a Condor Hudson Bay knife, the weight of this knife alone is 523 grams. So, I'm taking my Mora Companion, it weight is only 110 grams.
I'm getting there. I'm down to 21.65 kg, got to get down to 18.66 kg for the airline.

Keep Your Tinder Dry
Chekmate

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
I haven't put any of my stuff on the scales yet, its a shame I won't be able to take my LK35 I just got but I would be sacrificing too much other stuff to take it I reckon. I really could do with a whole trip and gear planning thread all of its own. Lol

And I wanted to leave enough weight to bring some stuff back for the family. Im going to have to be pretty gear ruthless and be ultra minimal with clothes I think.

Chekmate

Jan 24, 2016
Canada
I think that is a good idea! :You_Rock_ We can start the equipment list here, for our upcoming adventure. Then start a thread in another sections of the forum. I'll go through my gear this weekend and post the list on Monday. I look forward to seeing your list.

Keep Your Tinder Dry
Chekmate

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Fabian will be a great resource for kit selection. Does he not already have a list?
Wear crap clothes. Don't bring any of it home. Salmon fishing clients do that = they pack the coolers with clothing to wear
and throw it all away to take home the frozen fish.

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
Yes Fabian has provided a list of essential items.

I think its still a good idea to take a look at what we will take, I for one have never packed for a trip like this before and will feel more confident If I get a solid lost together.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Is it not cost effective to pay for an extra hold bag, not sure how that will impact on your travel though, we took 3 hold bags plus hand luggage to Sweden lmao, wear your big bulky coats and boots etc to check in, it'll save space and weight :)

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
Marc's aide-memoire

Equipment:

To Wear:
- Trousers - *Need to buy* some decent new teousers e.g. Marmot Highland but might be tempted to stretch to Fjellraven Vida or Haglofs Rugged Mountain
- Long sleeve shirt - Wool
- Socks - Thin pair Synthetic
- Base Layer - Cheap Aldi synthetics t-shirts and long pants
- Hat - Jackdaw Waxed wide brim
- Belt
- Boots / Shoes - Merrell
- Fleece - Wind stopper / Insulated soft shell
- Pocket Light - 9v Block light clip on or a AAA Light

Suitcase:=Holdall or Folding suitcase
- Trousers - Polycotton work pants for evenings / spares
- Socks (2 pairs) - 1 Thick Wool, 1 Seal Skinz
- Underwear (1 pairs) - Synthetic
- Base Layer (Spares) - Cheap Aldi synthetics t-shirts and long pants
- Mesh kit bag to keep spare clothes in
- Gloves - Showa 377 wet grip gloves
- Neoprene Water Slippers
- Swimming Shorts - Quick dry board shorts
- Towel - Light weight travel towel
- Fleece - Small packing micro fleece
- Rain wear (Trousers and jacket)- Cheap goretex over trousers, *not sure about* jacket yet.... Possibly cheap pack-a-mac / Poncho
- Emergency reflective blanket
- 3 season sleeping bag - cheap synthetic, smallest I can get away with. *I may buy the medium weight British or the Danish military bag if im not happy with my current choice after I test them this month.*
- Military thermal suit or softies top and bottom
- Thermarest Mat - NeoAir Camper XL
- Military canteen with steel nesting cup
- SS plate and Tatanka Kettle
- Cooker - *some form of hobo stove or woodgas and a folding fire pit* ---- might ditch all together
- Titanium Spork
- Fixed blade sheath type knife - Mora or Mark Hill custom Nessmuk
- Small pocket knife - Cheap lambsfoot
- Folding Saw - Cheap supermarket pruning saw
- Lighter (2) and Ferro Rod (2)
- Paracord and Duct Tape
- Diarrhea Medications, medical kit; plasters, aspirin etc
- Sun block & Mosquito repellent *Probably just buy over there*
- Water purification tablets or Iodine
- One man tent - *If I can find a light one I like/afford*
- Hip Flask - *Fill with acceptable local plonk"

Hand Luggage:=Rucksack/day pack - cheap 20l mountian warehouse
- Hat - Thinsulate beanie
- Gloves - Insulated Leather work gloves
- Polarizing Sunglasses
- Shemagh
- Camera equipment
- Portable Charging pack (2)
- Rubble sacks
- Small travel pillow
- Spare bottle - probably a couple empty water bottles air sucked out and rolled up
- Whistle
- Compass
- Note book and pencil
- Wash bag and toiletries / toilet paper
- Head torch and spare batteries - Zebralight H52W
- Something suitably manly to read *Ranulph Fienes book or Bear wrestling for dummies [Sudoku hidden inside]*

--

Living document revision 3.1...... lol

Last edited:

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I did the trip plus an extra week with 22kg of hold luggage and 5kg of cabin luggage. That weight included my own life jacket and an axe. I had my own one man tent and a down sleeping bag which stayed dry for the whole trip. There's no need to take anything fancy, you'll just need your basic camping gear and a few changes of clothing. A small waterproof organiser/rucksack will be useful to keep day to day items handy in the canoe e.g. Sun cream, sunglasses, waterproofs, water bottle etc.
If you publish your kit lists I'll have a read and tell you what you don't need.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Jist like Imagedude I managed to keep everything under the 22kg and I was very tool heavy (lare knife, multitool, axe, backup knofe) and brought canvas and leather for projects people wanted to do over there too.

Everything was packed in a heavy canvas and leather canoe pack too.
I also had a heavy synthetic bag, but packed a tarp an mossi net instead of a tent. In the end i used one of fabian's tents so i highly recommend you bring or borrow a tent do to insects at this time of year.

If anyone is interestsd i can work on a kit list over the next few days and post it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE