Invite: 2017 Yukon Bushcraft Camp/Course & Canoe Trip (June 2017)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraft Yukon

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2015
Canada
Last year I invited members of the forums Bushcraft UK, Bushcraft USA and Bushcraft Deutschland to join me for a wilderness canoe trip on the Teslin & Yukon Rivers. The idea was not only to paddle down through the breathtaking scenery of the Yukon, but also to share and exchange bushcraft related knowledge and skills.

Bob, Kevin and Pete followed the “call of the wild” and we had a great river trip. You can read about our adventure here and here.

After and during last year’s trip I had many conversation and discussions regarding another Yukon adventure for interested forum members in 2017. I sat down, checked my calendar, did some number crunching, scratched my head…and here it comes:

I would like to invite you folks for another round of Yukon adventures! For 2017 I plan a modular event with a Bushcraft & Survival Camp/Course in the first week and a Wilderness Canoe Trip for the second week. If you are interested, you can join for either of the two, or both.

Ultimate goal is –once again- an exchange of skills and ideas between the participants, to meet like-minded folks and to enjoy one of the most beautiful areas the northern hemisphere has to offer.

First Week: Bushcraft & Survival Camp/Course

During this course we will stay on our property north of Whitehorse, Yukon. Our area offers a beautiful mixed boreal forest and some spectacular views to the mountains of the Coastal Range. You can pitch your tents, set up your tarps (think of bugs!) or span your hammocks. We will have the new group event and training area cleared by then and we can take full advantage of the new fire pit.
This part will run like a regular wilderness course and there will be a mix of theory lectures and lots and lots of hands-on stuff. We will also do a few hikes and canoe excursions in the surrounding area and we will throw in a few challenges for you to test your (hopefully) newly acquired skills. It will be interesting and fun!

Without going too much into detail, here is some of the stuff we will cover during the camp/course:
- Choosing & using cutting tools (knife, saw, axe)
- Fire lighting (various methods)
- Fire lays, Fire safety
- Bear Safety
- Shelter (tarp set ups, Super Shelter, improvised shelters)
- Bushcraft cooking & baking
- Rope work (knots, pulleys, making cordage)
- Using plants for medicine & food
- Fishing with rod & reel
- Processing and cooking fish
- Canoeing Techniques (we will do a one day canoe outing during the course)
- Survival trapping
- Field dressing of small game
- Navigation with map & compass
- Improvising Tools
- …and if we find the time we will look at a few little MYOG projects for you to take home.

This course will run from June 4, 2017 (Sunday) to June 9, 2017 (Friday).

Cost: CA$560 per person. This will cover your transport from Whitehorse to the training area, food for the duration of the course, material & supplies for the course, canoe rental and transportation costs for the outing, instructions, camping at my place.
Not covered is your flight to Whitehorse (of course), fishing license, additional accommodation (if you choose to use hotels at the beginning or end of course/trip).

Your incentive: If you feel you can teach something bushcraft related and contribute significantly (!!!) to the course program, please get in touch with me. There will be an incentive, depending on your contribution.

We need a minimum of 5 participants to run this course.

Second Week: Wilderness Canoe Trip (Yukon River)

For this 6-day wilderness trip we will launch our canoes at the shore of beautiful Lake Laberge north of Whitehorse. After two days of lake paddling, which will get us in shape and hone our paddling skills for the faster water sections, we reach a section of the Yukon River called “Thirty Mile River”. This stretch is known for its clear and fast flowing water, wonderful camp sites and amazing fishing opportunities. Many consider it the most beautiful part of the Yukon River. We will continue on to the historic sites of Hootalinqua, Big Salmon Village and eventually get picked up at Little Salmon Village.

We will camp along the river in wonderful camp spots, enjoy great fishing opportunities, and have some time to practise some real wilderness living skills. At this time of the year we should have good chances to see cow moose and their off-spring cooling off at the river banks. There is also an abundance of wolf, bears, lynx, and water fowl along this river.

Participants need to arrive on or before June 11, 2017 (Sunday). We will get back to Whitehorse on June 17, 2017 (Saturday), but you should plan on departing from Whitehorse not before June 18, 2017 (Sunday), as we may arrive late on Saturday.

Costs: CA$660. This will cover your transportation from Whitehorse to our place, to the boat launch site and back to Whitehorse from Little Salmon Village, your food for the entire trip, canoe/equipment rental fees, satellite communication (for emergencies only), guiding (licensed & insured as required by the Yukon Wilderness Tourism Act), free camping before and after the canoe trip at our place.

Not covered is your flight to Whitehorse (of course), fishing license, additional accommodation (if you choose to use hotels at the beginning or end of course/trip).

We need a minimum of 5 participants to carry out this trip.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask them here on the forum and we can discuss for everyone to read and participate. If you want to sign-up for this 2017 Yukon adventure, please send me a PM with your contacts. I will get back to you with some more detailed info, such as gear list, waiver, medical form etc.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I'll be in Canada on those dates, either on this trip or working for the BES.

Bushcraft Yukon

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2015
Canada
Hey Bob & Pete,

Good to hear from both of you! It would be great to have you guys on board again!

I hope some more folks get to join for some Yukon adventures.

Cheers,
Fabian

Russell96

Forager
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
Hi Fabian
Thank you so much for such an awesome offer and great write ups. Looks an awesome trip. I have sent a PM. I am seriously interested and I am trying to convince a mate to come as well. Hopefully will be able to confirm/commit fairly soon.
Hope we can get the numbers to make it happen!
All then best.
Russ

Bushcraft Yukon

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2015
Canada
Would be great to have you with us. I am sure it will be a great camp/trip. Te last trip was a great success and I am sure we can improve for 2017! I am certain we can get enough folks to join!

Russell96

Forager
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
Right! Myself and my mate Zac (not a forum member but I will get him on here!) are in!
Really pleased; looks a trip of a life time.
Russ

Bushcraft Yukon

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2015
Canada
I added buddy Zac to the list. If he is into bushcraft he sure should join the forum! The list is growing...it'll be fun! Totally looking forward to welcome new faces in this part of the world!

K

kevnet

I would be very interested in coming out for both of these, enjoyed last years trip very much, awsome
Kevin

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Omg, what a great offer! I'm close to drooling here now.
Maybe I need to sell an extra horse this spring :p

Bushcraft Yukon

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2015
Canada
I am getting things in order on my end. The 2017 Yukon Camp & Canoe Trip is a go ahead with enough interest to make it a reality!!! Who else wants to join? We do have a few more spots available!

Should be good fun and a great learning opportunity for anyone interested in bushcraft and/or canoeing!

You can find more details in the first post of this thread.

Cheers,
Fabian

Bushcraft Yukon

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2015
Canada
The snow is melting fast and the canoes just reappeared from the under the white cover. Time to get things ready for the summer!

I am also working on some little give-aways for those brave souls coming to the Yukon...should be good!

It looks like we already have a pretty good crew with bushcraft enthusiasts joining from UK, Germany and Canada! But we can still squeeze a few folks in, if anyone else is interested...

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
Hmmm, this might be tight for me to arrange in such a short time. One of the weeks might be more possible than both.

Which week would you suggest for more of a newbie? Or is this something for more experienced people?

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I'm raging I won't get to go again this year now. Sounds like it's shaping uo to be even better than last year.

Anyone who is on the fence aboutthis just do it! Fabian is a great host and guide and it is a once-in-a-lifetime experience for many.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE