Invisible Tarmachans

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
20131123_121558.jpg by Scotstechy, on Flickr

Perfect - first time placement - neve on the butress below the summit.

20131123_123615.jpg by Scotstechy, on Flickr

Selfie at lunch

20131123_131707.jpg by Scotstechy, on Flickr

20131123_121602.jpg by Scotstechy, on Flickr

Invisible above 650m and a fierce makeyoureyeswater wind today up the Tarmachan ridge. Lots of nice neve about. We had a wee solo up some mixed ground to the first summit. Visibility about 100m most of the day above 650m.

First crampon wearing of the winter, colds hands doing this.

And never saw any Tarmachans (ptarmigans). Although we did hear Snow buntings at 1000m.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Jealous as heck there, would love to be back up in those conditions, washes the soul. Looks like quite nice conditions, how was it underfoot?

Nice set of axes by the way, another axe perversion to get into. My faves were always my BD X-15's. Was gutted when I had to sell them.

Any more pics?

Cheers for posting,
GB.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Very mixed underfoot. Soft powder through icy hoarfrost grass and neve on the summit ridge. Crampons on above 750m. 100m visibility down to 10m at times so lots of micronavigation. We did a wee 50m butress with mixed neve and turf to the summit. Not many pics ss only had my phone and baltic cold wind. The wind was not forecast and needed goggles to navigate safely.

Only an hour and 15mins drive from my hoose, so ideal for shorter daylight days just now.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Looks absolutely exhilerating :D and downright freezing :hatscarf:.....and I was moaning about -4 :rolleyes:
Good work up and down safely in those conditions :)
Doesn't the heat really hit you when you get back indoors though ? Leaves me restless and then really sleepy.

Thank you for the photos; it's a great start to Winter :)

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's often the sorest bit of a jaunt out like that :sigh: Feels like your face has been sandpapered.
I know that this won't be a lot of help to the menfolks, but I have two friends of a certain age who climb, and both ladies swear that makeup moisturising foundation creme is a very good thing agin the windburn :D

cheers,
Toddy

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That's often the sorest bit of a jaunt out like that :sigh: Feels like your face has been sandpapered.
I know that this won't be a lot of help to the menfolks, but I have two friends of a certain age who climb, and both ladies swear that makeup moisturising foundation creme is a very good thing agin the windburn :D

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy,

Tights and moisturiser have been a longstay of Scottish winter mountaineering....Errm so I'm told:eek:! (Well the nights are long):lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE