Introducing the 10-10-V woodburning stove!

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Now that is pretty cool, nice workmanship too, [I'm very bad at knocking things up they always seem a bit too rustic].

good that it all packs up, does it glow red when really going??.

I can't help but think of the yukon? fire box [not sure if thats the one I'm thinking of] but a cylinder turned on it's side with a flat top - so looking straight at the door it looks a bit like a D turned 90 clockwise - this may give more 'top plate' for cooking etc. Or if you could arrange a back exiting exhaust which would leave the top clear of pipe.

Anyway NICE job, it'll be good to see the other two...

Thanks, mousey. I haven't seen it glowing red but the top plate gets to about 400 degrees. The problems I'm encountering are that after a bit of burning, the grate at the bottom, which is above the level of the air holes, gets clogged with ash. I need to install an air control further up the stove (wood likes burning with air from above anyway, I'm told)

I know which stove you mean. This isn't really a cooking stove and also my welding is so incredibly awful that trying to weld a flat plate onto it would only prove disastrous! I had thought about a back exiting exhaust - problem is that you then introduce bends into the flue and it makes the whole thing wider and less stable. Again, to try and weld one tube to another is beyond my skill

The next one will be built upside down with a welded on top plate and a removeable bottom plate instead - this will eliminate leaks from the top and if I use the same fixing method, it will mean a slightly bigger area on the top as the nuts won't be in the way. Not sure how to fit the throat plate, though. Might just modify this one and add a collar around the air holes (which would be at the top) to control the air

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
Great stuff. Ive just returned from a 2 month cycling trip in spain. It was fantastic and I felt I could carry on living that way for a long time except.... When its raining and you crawl into a tiny cold wet tent and your sleeping bag gets wet, then the next day you climb into wet clothes, cycle wet all day and then get back into your wet tent and sleeping bag the next night. So the problem is having no way of getting yourself and your stuff dry. So i spent a lot of the trip fantisizing about having a larger tent with a lightweight wood burner in. Now this beauty approaches the problem well. I like it alot, however although 5 kg is great for a wood burner, I probably would be willing to carry it on my bike. The problem with making a stove in the weight range i'm thinking of is not only durability but the fact that as soon as you stop feeding it, it'll go out and rapidly cool down. The more mass a stove has, the longer it'll give heat out for. So i've been thinking about a hollow walled thin stove, that you can fill with sand/earth/rocks from your locality when you arrive at you camp, in order give it a bit of thermal mass.

On your blog entry, you mention installing a Silicon panel in your tarp. Is this heat resistant then? What form are you refering to?
Cheers

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
You can buy silicone bakeware - it's heatproof & flexible. Thought I'd buy a flat baking sheet & use that

Like the idea of the earth/sand filled stove. You might struggle to keep the weight down as aluminium isn't great in the heat & titanium is jeffing expensive & difficult to work with

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
You can buy silicone bakeware - it's heatproof & flexible. Thought I'd buy a flat baking sheet & use that

Like the idea of the earth/sand filled stove. You might struggle to keep the weight down as aluminium isn't great in the heat & titanium is jeffing expensive & difficult to work with

Yeah, I thought the same about weight and material. Aluminium would burn through after a couple of goes and yeh, titanium.... not even a concideration for my wallet. I mean 5kg is pretty light already, its gonna be hard to get dramatic weight savings without too much loss of durability. Maybe a lightweight steel cooking pot for the interior would do the job, and the outer layer for holding the sand/earth etc wouldnt have to be so thick as it isnt coming into direct contact with the fire. I'll have to experiment and see.

Oh and the silicon bakeware idea is ingenious, I couldn't come up with an alternative to aspestos or metal and you've cracked it. Not too pricey either.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
The silicon bakeware idea is ingenious, I couldn't come up with an alternative to aspestos or metal and you've cracked it. Not too pricey either.

Thanks. I was thinking of using a glassfibre plumber's soldering mat but that would absorb water. I think Tentipi or Frontier Stoves sell a silicone flashing already

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Very nice and an interesting design.

I'm wondering why you chose an up right style?? Are there more benefits to it being upright?

I'm not a very good welder. To have it horizontal would mean the flue would either have to bend or be welded onto the side of the main tube - both beyond my capabilities. Also, to allow me to warm a cup on top, I'd have to weld on a flat plate which would make it heavier/less compact

Are you going to demonstrate it at the Sussex meet Robin, I hope you do.

Of course! I'll be bringing it along. Probably not in the Pinzgauer though as she's being a right bitch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE