internet device for travelling?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
I love the kindle 1 for out and about. Battery lasts for ages, Free 3G connection for life. and internet access is unlimited Drawback is no camera, phone or video but I can get my emails and read or download pdfs etc. even if it is all in black and white

jaffcat

Nomad
Sep 26, 2012
Hertford
I've used all sorts over the years. Apple for me has always been trouble free, generally better cameras too. Cost more tho. As for 7" tabs I have a Samsung tab2 that's in perfect nic if your interested.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...How on earth do they lose data on a device that is permanently syncing to iCloud..."

I don't own an IOS device but have used them for work, I do own a MacBook Pro but I've steered clear of their iCloud, it hasn't worked that well for me in past with data being lost or confused. An easier system I find is to use dropbox and also to email myself (at one of my google addresses) any critical files or images.

"...They work beautifully..."

Not always, but usually.

"...Where in a town the equivalent size of Basingstoke worldwide can I come in and get a replacement device, restore it on their Wifi and walk out none the worse?.."

In my experience this has been the case, sometimes in even smaller towns that were well off the beaten track.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Just looked up Basingstoke. TBH that's not really a "small" town. Over 100,000 people. At least 10 state capitals have populations less than half that.

Last edited:

sum1quiet

Jul 24, 2014
United Kingdom
if you want to get an ipad, while youre at it you might as well make some firestarters by getting some £20 notes and dipping in wax to help starting the next campire

ive ahd so many clients lose data on apple devices

also most apple devices seem to break very quickly, not ideal for travelling

I have an iPhone 4 that I bought on release day 5 years ago that is still going strong and has easily 2 days of battery life without having to replace a single part. I also have a MacBook Pro bought in 2007 that is still going, only thing that's gone is the battery which is fair given the 8 years since it was made. Countless family members that have Apple devices that are still going after many, many years of use.

If they're losing data, then it's a user issue rather than a product one. iCloud is brilliant for data backup, so if they aren't using it and aren't backing up, then it will happen to ANY device they use.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
right now i have a mobile phone- but it*s a simple version without internet[access] and it usually just collects dust in my room; it will [probably] left behind when i leave japan and i will be without phone as usual after that[ i have no real use for one and do*nt share the human obsession with those things...]-

Even though you are looking for a tablet, I'd still keep the phone. In an emergency, a phone can save your life, and if you've got a phone signal, you can always contact someone if you need to. Even in a place with widespread wifi, its not universal, and using other peoples wifi has its own problems. Stay safe.

Even though you are looking for a tablet, I'd still keep the phone. In an emergency, a phone can save your life, and if you've got a phone signal, you can always contact someone if you need to. Even in a place with widespread wifi, its not universal, and using other peoples wifi has its own problems. Stay safe.

i get your point about keeping the phone- but it would turn a call even to **just around the corner** into an expensive overseas call... +there is the issue that i would need another adapter for it[=extra luggage] as well... . [admittedly i*m a bit of an outdated fossile when it comes to phones:p....]

I'm jealous I do have itchy feet for travelling.

leaving my passport country with the intention never to return more than ten years ago was my own choice[as i could not see a chance to make a decent life for me there- neither private nor jobwise]--- but believe me: it*s not as exciting as it sounds to outsiders... .i basically search since years now for a place to settle down, so far without success... it means too often saying goodbye forever to nice people and places and you can get godd*** lonely...

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
i get your point about keeping the phone- but it would turn a call even to **just around the corner** into an expensive overseas call... +there is the issue that i would need another adapter for it[=extra luggage] as well... . [admittedly i*m a bit of an outdated fossile when it comes to phones:p....]

Actually on O2 you have TuGo and are has their wireless dialling facility and smartphones in general can run Skype. It's not so expensive as it once was to keep n touch overseas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I recommend checking out old-type phones. Look for a quad band one with no functions. Makes it easy to drop in a local sim card and just top it up. When my daughter was studying abroad I got her one to use when around and about; battery lasts forever, not blingy so doesn't attract attention, cost £14 from a supermarket.

Why wait? They've been out for a while - and marked down to £35 when I bought one

i just checked it out- it cost the equivalent of 120pounds on amazon japan for the 16GB version... the samsung is not that much more expensive...

edit: i just found a cheaper version for ca. 50pounds, but only 8GB storage....
question is: how long-lasting are they and how good is the customer service(=recently i bought a camera from amazon but it has warranty only in japan and the manual came in japanese which is rather useless to me...)

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
i just checked it out- it cost the equivalent of 120pounds on amazon japan for the 16GB version... the samsung is not that much more expensive...

edit: i just found a cheaper version for ca. 50pounds, but only 8GB storage....
question is: how long-lasting are they and how good is the customer service(=recently i bought a camera from amazon but it has warranty only in japan and the manual came in japanese which is rather useless to me...)
The Fire can take a micro SD card. Mine is 32Gb and cost £7. A bonus is that it charges via Micro USB so a standard lead just get a local plug in each country. There is no need for a manual as you can download the English user guid in PDF.

Last edited:
The Fire can take a micro SD card. Mine is 32Gb and cost £7. A bonus is that it charges via Micro USB so a standard lead just get a local plug in each country. There is no need for a manual as you can download the English user guid in PDF.

so you can basically upgrade the storage capacity as needed?! i presume that all versions of the "fire" can do it?! how reliable are the "fire" in the long run compared to other brands?(i prefer long-lasting products) the ability to easily charge is a big bonus for me(as my next destination uses different plugs than japan....).

it sounds like the "fire might fit my bill...:eek:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
My wife has had one for two years no problems. I only bought the new one a couple of weeks back as it was 30% off and Tesco gave mse a refund on a faulty Hudl. So far I'm very pleased. I think all thee current Fires have SD card slots for storage. I think they accept up to 128gb cards, but you can have more than 1 card for extra storage.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE