internet device for travelling?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
My wife has had one for two years no problems. I only bought the new one a couple of weeks back as it was 30% off and Tesco gave mse a refund on a faulty Hudl. So far I'm very pleased. I think all thee current Fires have SD card slots for storage. I think they accept up to 128gb cards, but you can have more than 1 card for extra storage.

hhmm.... sounds really good....
guess i*ll be doing some more research reg. which model/size tonite....
standard size SDcards are rather common over here, too...

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Pretty much all tablets and smartphones now use micro usb's, and travel usb chargers are very easy to get.

The Fire is perfectly fine, but remember its an Amazon product (thats why its cheap - its sold on the Gilette model), and so using any other service, even though its an Android tablet, isn't easy. My son has just bought the £45 one (with his birthday money), and its fine for him and his sister, but I'd advise something from Samsung. You dont need the latest version, just something that runs OK, can have extra memory added easily (micro SD cards are very cheap, especially in the Far East). Something like a Galaxy Tab would be fine. That, and a cheap smartphone (you can swap out the sim easily) should be fine. You can even use the camera's as well.

Japan is fabled for buying electronics http://www.japlanning.com/blog/japlanning101-buying-electonics-in-japan & http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTo...ctronic_shopping_in_Japan_worth_it-Japan.html & https://www.reddit.com/r/japan/comments/2k9i7k/best_place_to_buy_electronics/ .

This doesn't mean you'll get a bargain, but it should be OK. And obviously seek out the versions with English language keyboards, etc!

PS - the £35 Fire is a bit naughty - you'll pay that price if you'll put up with adverts. You can stop them, but only if you pay a tenner. Or you could pay £45 upfront. Clickbait!

The Fire is perfectly fine, but remember its an Amazon product (thats why its cheap - its sold on the Gilette model), and so using any other service, even though its an Android tablet, isn't easy. My son has just bought the £45 one (with his birthday money), and its fine for him and his sister, but I'd advise something from Samsung. You dont need the latest version, just something that runs OK, can have extra memory added easily (micro SD cards are very cheap, especially in the Far East). Something like a Galaxy Tab would be fine. That, and a cheap smartphone (you can swap out the sim easily) should be fine. You can even use the camera's as well.
PS - the £35 Fire is a bit naughty - you'll pay that price if you'll put up with adverts. You can stop them, but only if you pay a tenner. Or you could pay £45 upfront. Clickbait!

can someone explain that part to me, please?!

amazon fire vs. samsung galaxy: this is getting tricky (especially as i leave soon; and the only electronics shop "near"by has neither and a lousy customer service)....

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

The adverts appear only when the screen is locked - as soon as the device is in use, no adverts!

I've no idea what service I can't use on it either. It runs multiple different e-mail types, all videos work (downloaded and live stream), all websites work fine including those with sound, video and live update. You do have to use Amazons own browser, but it works just as well as Chrome / Firefox / IE. I can listen to my audiobooks (Amazons and others), read books (Amazons and others) and lots more. It works just as well as a Hudl, Galaxy Tab or iPad as far as I can see (owned or used them all). Its a tablet, so, like all tablets, for long typing get a bluetooth keyboard. You don't have to buy any Amazon products, you don't get adverts while the device is unlocked. It works and its cheap. I use tablets for travelling with - they are cheap and cheerful and this is no better or worse than the others I have tried?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They all work absolutely fine. You won't see any more ads than you will on any other device except when the screen is locked - i.e. for 1 second as you push the power button.

I hope you are as happy with yours as I am

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
The adverts appear only when the screen is locked - as soon as the device is in use, no adverts!

But you still watch adverts that Amazon want you to see, even if its only for a second, no matter if you want to or not. The tenner they knock off the price is something they think is worth paying.

The Fire is a cheap Android tablet - and thats totally fine. In fact its sold along the lines of the razorblade model - the razor is cheap, but the blades are more pricey. For my kids, totally fine, and excellent value for money.

However, try using it in the same way as a normal Android tablet, and perhaps download apps from the Google apps store. Not going to happen, unless you tinker with it - http://www.teleread.cohttp://kindle...-to-the-50-fire-tablet-and-what-happens-next/ . Want Chrome as your browser, rather than Silk? Again - possible, but a hassle. The device wants you to go to Amazon for apps, film, books, etc. Thats OK, but nobody should buy one expecting otherwise.

The Fire is very cheap for what it does, and thats understandable. But its not a Galaxy Tab or an Ipad - they are generally more powerful, with a wider range of apps. Its not fair on either to compare them with each other as direct rivals. So if I was looking for a cheap tablet that does the job, the Fire would do nicely. But if I wanted a bit more flexibility, without the need to go under the bonnet, then I'd chose something else. You pays your money, you make your choice.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That's fair. To me all tablets are basic devices. We keep proper computers for running real software on. For watching YouTube and browsing bcuk plus e-mail, its silly to pay more than fire prices.

o.k.- my "fire" arrived today- with a "warning- keep away from small children"" on the plastic bag and a card telling me i have 90days warranty when purchased from amazon.co.jp instead of the normal one year...:(
no manual instructions of any kind- i found an online version BUT it does not tell me what it means by the 4options it gives me for ""an internet connection is required to set up your device""*.... (SIGH) i hope one of my co-workers can help me out tomorrow...

@ least my new fenix hl23 performs to my satisfaction...:rolleyes:

* edit: i hope i do not have to change connection every time i go to another country...?!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE