Internet bushcraft course

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
The bloke who does the 'Wilderness outfitters' You Tube videos is starting an internet course at 75$ a year with dvd downloads, access to loads of information etc and probably lots of practical exercises.

It could be good value for money even after ignoring items that would be US specific. He seems very knowledgeable so I think anyone who did his course would probably learn a lot. He does some very good stuff on You Tube.

If anyone joins, eg any American members, then it would be interesting to know what they thought of it/how relevant it would be to UK

Website is http://www.wildernessoutfittersarchery.com/

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Dave will have a UK based guest instructor from time to time apparently, to cover non US specific subject matter as part of the sylabus he has put together.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Dave will have a UK based guest instructor from time to time apparently, to cover non US specific subject matter as part of the sylabus he has put together.

That's interesting - how do you know - are you in contact with him? I'd be interested in his course as he seems genuine bloke, but until I can find a woodland relatively nearby (and get trained in the basics) I don't think I would want to start - 75$/£52 (ish) seems a v good price - whio amongst us hasn't wasted that in kit that is never used?

Dave Caterbury,

Is a very knowledgeable bloke, his teaching style is easy to follow for both the novice and the more experienced among us.

He belives in the crawl / walk / run approach. so everything follows a logical step.

However, so far I dont feel I have gotton value for money from the subscription.

So far there has been very few videos for the "Virtual Classroom" as he call it (Subscription only area)

Whilst the Free videos on YouTube have kept comming.

It maybe that Dave has more planned for the "Virtual Classroom" personally for me this has yet to materialise.

I do however recommend that everyone should watch his Youtube videos

That is just my personal opinion and no disrespect to Dave is meant.

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
No disrespect to anyone intended - but how do you learn a practical, hands-on skill from t'internet? Might as well just get a book and go sit in the woods to practice.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
No disrespect to anyone intended - but how do you learn a practical, hands-on skill from t'internet? Might as well just get a book and go sit in the woods to practice.

With a reaaaaaaallllllly long power extension cable so you can sit your 'puter on the nearest tree stump! :D

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
Dave's style is easy to follow, I do agree with an earlier poster that the virtual classroom is not moving as fast as the you tube videos. And there seems to be a sync problem between the practical work and the reference material, so you end up doing alot of your own research anyhow (which is the idea!).
On the whole it's ... ok.I view the subscripton as a payment for all the information and other stuff on Dave's site and on youtube as I can't keep up with the speed of the home work ;).

If in doubt
take out 1 months subscripton yourll get an idea then

Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE