Interesting splitting axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Seen these before and always thought nice and easy on straight grained logs but how would it perform against one with lots of knots?

Not very well I reckon.

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
That is an interesting splitter. Seems to work really well, and so it should for 193 Euro's. I like the idea of using an old tyre to keep everything together, rather than scattering them all over the floor.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Seen these before and always thought nice and easy on straight grained logs but how would it perform against one with lots of knots?

Not very well I reckon.

My thoughts as well Steve.
All well and good on a piece of specially selected straight grained pine, but give it a lump of gnarly Oak or twisted Hawthorn and then see how it performs!

Ogri the trog

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
I think you would need to carry a normal axe as well for all the knotty stuff. so you might as well leave the new fancy one at home.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
At 90cm long and 2.5kg (5.5lbs) more of a basecamp thing, or for the house. Personally like the look of these from Shark Designs but not had a chance to try one. LINK

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I suspect the lever axe works well - but for a similar price I use a 7 tonne hydraulic splitter. Its not as quick - for the first hour.....but when you are still going at the end of the day, its a tortoise and hare situation!

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
that is intetresting, I have seen and used the axes with two arms on them for spliting before,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE