interesting SAS kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Rap,

Where do you get the James Bond pens from, looks interesting...in fact the whole set up looks good...

LS

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Where do you get the James Bond pens from, looks interesting
it was from a christmas catalouge of all places! i don't know the name i'll try to find out, and before you run a search it's not called a "james bond pen" i call it that cause it seems to fit!

That looks nice how has your mod knife been treating you?
:rolleyes: i was wondering if it would get a comment possitive or not! ;)

well you see the kit?
That's the kit i teach with!
I don't make any pretence that the MoD knife is perfect etc, it chops and slashes you can cut a tree down with it, the best thing is i'm unlikely to break it!
recently i was told (by someone in the know) the knife was not designed for survival more a camp knife for cutting digging shellscapes!
last year i made a toy car (to prove a point) just using the MoD knife
some people tell me to get a good knife, but it does what it says on the tin!

everything else is done with the gerber multi tool, again it's not expensive not a "bushcraft" named tool but i have made a range of utensils with it and see no reason to buy anything else :) these were all made with my gerber!
ee03aac3.jpg

as i say i like webbing the down side is the public assumtion that you are an army wannabe, shame cos it's very practical stuff, i have a terrible memory and having kit in set pouches helps alot, even in the pitch black i know where everything is!

i'll go into some more detail about the contents, the gloves are nomex pilot ones, great for quick hand camo, getting hot pans of a fire, collecting nettles, keeping mossies at bay, etc very light and comfy!

the 2 green mesh bags below the camo stuffsack, (one's from a PLCE medic bag the other is a replica i made),
1st drink sachets tissues biscuits soup etc..
2nd my cooker kit 2 small bottles of meths a lighter(not bushcrafty!) and a "sponopener" tinopener/teaspoon combo!

the squerly thing below my tool bag(main kit photo) is actually a very good hand powered saw i was given it and since found out it's worth £30+ :D it literally is a chainsaw with every other tooth reversed so it can be used both directions, you really can cut a tree in half with it!(if you're fit enough :eek: )

the book:
an aide memoire french for "aide to memory"!(boy do i need it!)
it's a book i have made intended for my diploma in outdoor activities, it has all the stuff we tend to forget like taking bearings adding for decent pacing steps and times, weather forecasting, and hundreds of tips i always forget! ;)
everyone should make one!
next to it is a green waterproof notebook with waterproof paper!

the ferrensium rod is the same as a firesteel, just alot bigger!

the spoon is lexan(plastic) it dosen't melt and it's very light!

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Love the lighter, how did you carve that one .... lol :lmao:

I somehow guessed it wasn't really called a JB pen... but thanks for looking

LS

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
just using the MoD knife
some people tell me to get a good knife, but it does what it says on the tin!

I've used my MOD knife for years, every now and then somebody takes the micky but they usually shut up when they see it being used to do things that would knacker their woodlore (hammered 3" into a pine log to split it etc)....and then carve a spoon with it lol :lmao:

I am, however, putting it into retirement now as I've just got myself a lovely Leuku/pukku combo knife set and will be using that from now on.....I'll even write a review of it for everyone to see once I've had a good field test of it.

Cheers,

Bam. :D

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
as i say i like webbing the down side is the public assumtion that you are an army wannabe, shame cos it's very practical stuff, i have a terrible memory and having kit in set pouches helps alot, even in the pitch black i know where everything is!
I agree about the webbing and public perception and thats why up until now I have used bum bags, each one larger than the previous to take more kit but its got to the state now that after 100m the weight starts to pull my trousers down and being the person who ate SOME of the pies my body shape works against me on that! :sadwavey:

I like things "organised" too not because I forget them but because I lose them and don't notice. Anybody who has been out with me will often comment about the fact I count everything before I go out and keep on counting it during the day. :(

Afew months ago I saw a briefcase/rucksack, it looks about 25/30 litres but has well over 2 million pockets and flaps. The front unzips right down revealing everying inside in its pockets and I really wanted one but when I found it cost £85 soon lost interest. :yuck:

Thanks for sharing, its always interesting to see sombody elses kit because it makes you think about your own, "do I really need that?", "coo look he has has got one of those", "thats a good idea.." etc

I think that I might look into webing but my ex-army mate will probably find a million and one wise cracks to make about it. But he means well :AR15firin Do you use a machine to make you pouches or sew by hand?

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
RAPPLEBY2000,

Just a quick one. Where did you get the lid for your metal mug shown in the bottom left of your "contents" picture? Shop bought or home made?

Les - Henceforth to be known as Surrey Yeoman due to "Copyright" reasons!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
There have been a few attempts at aproching the public with non military webbing,
i wish i could remember the name but there was a black/orange set not quite webbing but a selection of pouches with a belt and yoke/back pack.

i went through a stage of making kit black but that still looked special forces :(

another company called "MAG MOR" not around any more, made various green and dpm pouches (even white snow camo), i was considering buying a red or blue set from them. but then i like stuf to merge in a bit...so we come back to green or camo.... :confused: i don't know what the solution is but it's great kit!

this weekend i spent with some cadets on excersise and it worked perfectly! :D

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
no :( , but allong the right lines,

this is more the stuff i mean there are many many varients on the theme:

Kinesis photo gear

i'd prehaps put Snugpak in this area.

i even went as far as painting some army webbing black and adding some orange strips to "civilianise" it but it didn't fool anyone and i prefered green anyway! :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE