M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Photo of a street in Valdez, Alaska lifted from the internet

564503_4345220429565_165013757_n.jpg

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Well not sure about bears they usually stay on hillside in Anchorage but it's a common sight to see Moose both bulls and cows with their calves walking down the street. One winter I went out to the parking lot to clear some snow and as I walked round the corner I see about 2000ilb of startled bull with a full rack. He had settled down in a dip in the snow for a kip. He looked at me, I looked at him and I softly said "it's okay you stay there I'll leave this spot for you" he gave a low snort and put his head down and went back to sleep I backed away and decided to clear the snow from somewhere else.

Alaskans are used to sharing their towns (and parking lots :)) with wildlife and they're also fiercely protective of it.

george47

Banned
Aug 14, 2015
North Gulf of Mexico
That is not real. I worked in Valdez a couple times and black bears are a real pest (the picture is not a black bear). We always lived out at Allison point - which was free back then. Right off the campers is the beach which is infested with salmon during their runs. I once caught 6 pink salmon in 7 casts - one flipped off the hook as I landed it - so the extra cast - 6 was the daily limit. Lots of eagles, lots of sea otters, off the Nautilus docks where the ground up salmon heads and guts were discharged from the processor.

I would wade fish by the terminal in a shallow bay; casting a weighted treble hook to snag salmon at night and huge seals would shoot by me like submarines - then when they caught a salmon they would rear up and beat it to death against the water in a huge splashing event. Sometimes right by you - and in the dark you would imagine the seal grabbing your leg by mistake and beating you to death against the water.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Im guessing thats a regular tourist stop off to see bears fishing.

That's never for real?

I'm guessing the latter.

Well not sure about bears they usually stay on hillside in Anchorage but it's a common sight to see Moose both bulls and cows with their calves walking down the street. One winter I went out to the parking lot to clear some snow and as I walked round the corner I see about 2000ilb of startled bull with a full rack. He had settled down in a dip in the snow for a kip. He looked at me, I looked at him and I softly said "it's okay you stay there I'll leave this spot for you" he gave a low snort and put his head down and went back to sleep I backed away and decided to clear the snow from somewhere else.

Alaskans are used to sharing their towns (and parking lots :)) with wildlife and they're also fiercely protective of it.

This sounds more realistic though. Especially the bit about moose in the street.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I share my front doorstep with the deer ( I see their tracks in the snow).
4-6 deer live in my end of the village, couple of other groups S of me around the hospital and beyond.
Some cougar come into town but have no stories about grizz or blacks in my village.

The dang deer are habituated to people. So they make easy kills for the cougars.
This is a pi$$-off for the locals with small children walking to school as it is still DARK
in Dec/Jan for morning school times.

Fortunately there are some Dads that are fully capable of doing the "regulating" when the time comes.
The law says there's no discharge of firearms in the village. You got 6-10 yr old kids walking to school?
The law will be bent and the triggers will enjoy the respect of us all.

Just remember this forever: a grizz can sprint at 35mph and bring down a galloping horse.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
We get black bear in the suburbs here. They're addicted to the garbage cans and pet food bins. I remember at least once in the last few years when a nearby school went into lockdown until it moved on (often they'll just climb a tree and wait for nightfall before they move on) One woman was mauled in her driveway in Destin within the past year but that's rare here.

Last edited:

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Sorry to go off topic, but could I impose on anyone whose lived in Alaska near the Chugach Mountain range to drop me a PM?

It's a question I'd rather take off public board. Nothing sinister :)

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I hadn't noticed the missing shadow, but I had noticed the wet bear with a fish on a dry street bit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE