Insulated Trousers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
So I was out the other night in the hammock, and to be fair I haven't had a lot of time in the hammock, but I cannot get used to being restricted in a sleeping bag in the hammock.

The obvious solution would be to get an under quilt. But I was thinking about getting a pair of down/synthetic insulated trousers.

I was wearing a long sleeve merino base layer and a trying out the Karrimor ice down jacket and my upper torso was toastie. Lower half I was wearing a pair of craghoppers pro active trousers which are quite thin. My legs did begin to feel could late on and I was thinking if I had the insulated trousers I would be toastie all over.

All in I think they maybe more versatile than an under blanket and definitely easier to get in and out the hammock than when in a sleeping bag.

These are the cheapest I could find at £95 http://www.jack-wolfskin.co.uk/atmosphere-down-pants-men/1501141.html

Anyone tried insulated trousers before? or any ideas on a reasonably priced pair of insulated trousers?

Cheers Stuart

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
So I was out the other night in the hammock, and to be fair I haven't had a lot of time in the hammock, but I cannot get used to being restricted in a sleeping bag in the hammock.

The obvious solution would be to get an under quilt. But I was thinking about getting a pair of down/synthetic insulated trousers.

I was wearing a long sleeve merino base layer and a trying out the Karrimor ice down jacket and my upper torso was toastie. Lower half I was wearing a pair of craghoppers pro active trousers which are quite thin. My legs did begin to feel could late on and I was thinking if I had the insulated trousers I would be toastie all over.

All in I think they maybe more versatile than an under blanket and definitely easier to get in and out the hammock than when in a sleeping bag.

These are the cheapest I could find at £95 http://www.jack-wolfskin.co.uk/atmosphere-down-pants-men/1501141.html

Anyone tried insulated trousers before? or any ideas on a reasonably priced pair of insulated trousers?

Cheers Stuart

(Sorry not answering your question, just Chatting) I've been looking for a new ground based sleeping system to up date my kit... I am no spring chicken so I've been looking at NATO Issue Folding Cot / Camp Bed.

army bed by Alan 13-7, on Flickr

£60 new old stock... bloody heavy though Approx Weight: 9Kg... On one of my bothie outings one chap there had a sleeping bag like a giant baby grow ie (a sleeping bag with arms & legs) every body gave him a bit of stick but we were all freezing & pardon the pun he slept like a baby. by that I mean warm cosie & slept well not literally... As anyone with any experience of babies knows they wake up every 4 hours starving & covered in poo & pee... any way back to topic as an alternative to a sleeping bag.....? I too find sleeping bags restrictive even in a rectangular bag... I like Your Thinking Thanks for sharing...

Last edited:

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland

Cheers Stuart

Aldi sell them periodically for a very reasonable price. I got two pairs last year and they're excellent. Saw them in my wardrobe the other day and was wishing for winter so I can pull them on again.

As mentioned above, surplus softies can be gotten for fairly cheap and again are excellent.

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
(Sorry not answering your question, just Chatting) I've been looking for a new ground based sleeping system to up date my kit... I am no spring chicken so I've been looking at NATO Issue Folding Cot / Camp Bed. £60 new old stock... bloody heavy though Approx Weight: 9Kg... On one of my bothie outings one chap there had a sleeping bag like a giant baby grow ie (a sleeping bag with arms & legs) every body gave him a bit of stick but we were all freezing & pardon the pun he slept like a baby. by that I mean warm cosie & slept well not literally... As anyone with any experience of babies knows they wake up every 4 hours starving & covered in poo & pee... any way back to topic as an alternative to a sleeping bag.....? I too find sleeping bags restrictive even in a rectangular bag... I like Your Thinking Thanks for sharing...

The onsie sleeping bag! http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2037703.htm. Yep bet he got some funny looks in that.
Carrying an extra 9kg would definetly not be an option for me. I'm trying to cut down on the weight just now and I was thinking the insulated trousers would help by replacing the need for a sleeping bag.
Yeh I'm the same on the ground with the sleeping bag as well, I can barely sleep in my bed with the quilt over me without kicking it off!

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
Aldi sell them periodically for a very reasonable price. I got two pairs last year and they're excellent. Saw them in my wardrobe the other day and was wishing for winter so I can pull them on again.

As mentioned above, surplus softies can be gotten for fairly cheap and again are excellent.

Thanks Mick, I will keep my eye on Aldis for these should be about the right time of year as well. Do you have any pictures or a link to these?

Cheers
Stuart

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
(Sorry not answering your question, just Chatting) I've been looking for a new ground based sleeping system to up date my kit... I am no spring chicken so I've been looking at NATO Issue Folding Cot / Camp Bed.

army bed by Alan 13-7, on Flickr

£60 new old stock... bloody heavy though Approx Weight: 9Kg... On one of my bothie outings one chap there had a sleeping bag like a giant baby grow ie (a sleeping bag with arms & legs) every body gave him a bit of stick but we were all freezing & pardon the pun he slept like a baby. by that I mean warm cosie & slept well not literally... As anyone with any experience of babies knows they wake up every 4 hours starving & covered in poo & pee... any way back to topic as an alternative to a sleeping bag.....? I too find sleeping bags restrictive even in a rectangular bag... I like Your Thinking Thanks for sharing...

I paid half that for a similar design from Argos and its lasted really well included me using it for seven nights a week for six weeks while I stayed in our new home while work was being carried out

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
I paid half that for a similar design from Argos and its lasted really well included me using it for seven nights a week for six weeks while I stayed in our new home while work was being carried out

I am a fan of surplus They got them from £25 up that's £60 for new/old stock (best quality) I looked/seen the argos ones what weight are they you obviously rate them how do they compair to surplus then?

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
I got the Aldi ones too! They were £11 if I remember correctly... this was last winter, hopefully they get them in again. Very cozy and warm.

I think I'm going to wait and see if Aldi get these back in and have a look. Its looking like a toss up between Aldi and the softies at the moment.
Do you know if the insulation in these are down or synthetic?

Thanks
Stuart

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
Have a look at some skiing sallopetes from a shop like decathalon;

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/firstheat-mens-ski-trousers-id_8304394.html

There more durable than softie ones and just as warm in my opinion. That way if you need to get up during the night and walk about there less likely to tear. There also waterproof so if its raining you wont get wet.

That was one of my concerns with that type of trousers that they could tear easily. The ski trousers would be more durable and waterproof but heavier and take up more space in the pack :confused:..... much to consider now

Cheers Stuart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE