"Instant" Rice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ONE

Nov 21, 2019
N. Ireland
Does anyone know of a source for plain "just add water" rice in the UK? It's called Minute Rice in the States, and you can get that here in international grocers for silly money. But I'm looking for a UK/Euro source at "normal" prices. There are various flavoured snack pack things that fit the bill, but I'm after just plain long grain rice.

ONE

Nov 21, 2019
N. Ireland
If you can not this rice, would cous cous do?
Umm... Yes & no. It would fulfil a similar role if I were simply looking to make an easy meal for sure. But in this instance, I want rice!

I have rat-pack stuff in retort pouches that you just need to heat, but that's comparatively bulky for what I'm after too!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have a deep drawer in my kitchen with 4 kinds of rice and CDN Wild grass "rice." The cook times vary so much. Wild rice is 60 minutes, my plain basmati is 20 minutes. Which will it be? I can't help but keep thinking about the fuel cost to cook it vs the energy benefit to you, the camper.
Couscous in water + salt & lemon juice needs boiling water then take it off and let it sit to cook. That's a single blast from the stove and I'm done.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Is it not just called “quick cook rice” over here?

In the past I’ve used the packet microwave ones and just emptied them into a pot with a small amount of water to heat them through. Is that a solution?

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You can make it yourself.

It's hot soaked and then steamed plain rice that is then oven dried.

The hot soak and steaming cracks the rice grains enough that they re-absorb water quickly.

It's time consuming, it uses energy twice over, and the subsequent grains are lacking in vitamins, minerals, and arguably a lot of rice taste, but it's quick food.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Is it expensive ?

Indian ladies have a kind of quick cook rice that's like our 'rolled oats'. It's pre-cooked (steamed) and squished into flakes and then dried.

M

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Is it expensive ?
No, basically the same price as normal "60 min" rice. As I understand it is pre-steamed and dried, it looks like untreated one.

I use it when eating on treks as it is ready to eat almost instantly, my (very non gourmet) way is that I boil the water and then add the rice, by the time it has cooled to edible temp it is ready to eat.

Reactions: Toddy

ONE

Nov 21, 2019
N. Ireland
Thanks everyone, the microwave stuff is effectively the same as the rat-pack rice, more or less ready to eat. It's great, but not what I'm after in this instance. I think I'll take a lead from Toddy and DIY, maybe use my dehydrator.

I can distinctly remember suitable products being easily, and cheaply, available here in the past. Perhaps the microwave option has done away with it.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Freeze dried rice £19.90/kg

Reactions: ONE and Madriverrob

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Freeze dried rice £19.90/kg

Nearly twenty quid a kilo ??? I buy ten kilos of Basmati from Sainsbury's for under twelve.
Twenty quid ? what have they added ? gold ?

M....with housewife hat firmly on :rolleyes2:

Reactions: bds

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE