Inspiration required!!!.....How do you do it....?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
The thing for me is that when I think the balance of my life is about right then my partner most definitely doesn't. I work hard and play hard. I don't do the car thing but get fresh air from my bike every day to work and back. I sneak a look at BCUK a few times a day. I think about my current or next project or outing (usually 2 -3 at a time these days) a lot. I escape to the allotment, or to the local woods, or the shed when I can.

The work bit is Ok for me because I actually enjoy my job and have developed a research interest in part of it.

But it looks like getting household chores, gardenning etc done is my weakness, and I don't sit in front of the telly to be sociable enough, or plan much in the way of social events for the two of us, or phone the kids at Uni enough............

I do have one piece of advice on the work front though- take a special interest in some part of your job. Become an expert. Go on trips to develop your knowledge. Makes the rest more enjoyable some how.

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
PhilParry said:
Call it mid-life crisis, call it sick to death of the modern world, but I'm searching for some inspiration. :sadwavey:

How DO you all manage to balance the (so called!) "real" world of modern day life against the old "traditional" life of bushcraft? :eek:

I'm contemplating running away to a hut somewhere and eaking out a near hermit-like existence! :eek:

Seriously....it might be just this time of year but I'm fed up to the back teeth of my modern IT-esque life and modern "you must be sensible" job in a modern company bored out of my mind!! :( :aargh4: :sigh:

Any advice appreciated!!

Phil

Phil do what will make you happy life is to short to be sad.

I get the same every few years so me and my partner go of for a few months
back packing as im in the building traid it is easy for me to find work on our
return.

You only get one shot at life live it.

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
I live for my weekends. I get 3 days off a week, so, I do what I please with them. I guess in that way I'm fortunate.
I just broke up with the girlfriend because, frankly, she is TOO much of an indoor person, and got on my case whenever I went for so much as a stroll. These next couple of days, I'll be camping outside in the wonderful 1 degree weather.
Work gets me down every day. I count down the time at work until my days off. Trust me, most folks do it. It depends on what you do with your free time that will affect your mental state. Get out there, enjoy the outdoors, and trudge through your jub like the rest of us! ;)

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Well I've started my new job now working nights and do a 7 nights on and 7 nights off pattern. Thursday till wednesday. I work for 26 weeks of the year, actually less with 25 days holiday it's around 23. I'm not bragging about how lucky I am, I'm suggesting maybe a similar set-up for yourself. There are jobs like this out there. I work a week of 10.5 hours from 21.30 - 0800 sleep till around 3 or 4 in the afternoon and then get 7 days off every other week. Which dosn't count as holiday, it's just my time off. I'm on my own at nights, no managers to hassle me, as long as I do what I'm getting paid to do I'm left alone :) Which suits me just fine. I get fairly good money because I'm working nights so they pay the going rate and I'm quite happy with my own company at work. I listen to radio five live on the radio through the night with some lively topical discussions......great fun when people start getting irate with each other. :argue: Some people are so passionate about a given subject :rolleyes:
and look at BCUK, read a book and tonight I've brought in a couple of knives that need sharpening and my waterstones, which I'll do when the phones arn't ringing and I've done all the paperwork.
Best of all when I go home at 08.00 as I walk down the hill I pass all the miserable faces on their way to start there shifts in the hospital, and boy are some of them really miserable. :( Also it's great to say to the other day staff in my office at the end of my last shift of the week, "right see you next week then I'm off for seven days now" :D
Anyway it's not ideal for some folks but it suits me just fine and gives me plenty of free time on my week off to go sea fishing, carve stuff, or go out in the woods and practice my bushcraft, oh and nights are much quieter than days.
Anyway it's just a thought and worth considering if you don't mind doing nights.
Another thing that helps me, is to always have something to look forward to, a little trip away at the end of the month, or even just a night out at the weekend. Always have a plan of a trip to look forward to and think about when your day is going badly. It helps me anyway. :)
I'm off to north wales in a couple of weeks for some sea fishing and bushcrafting and am planning to visit Nigel (member) in Wales as soon as we can arrange something. I've also promised Buckshot to help out with his keeping. Give it some thought and try and find a job like it if you think it would suit you. It works for me, and I've no stress at all now. Best move I've made. :)

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Hi All

Someone mentioned to me 'work life balance' on Friday and I dismissed it as another piece of babble. However reading threw this thread has made me reflect upon my own situation.

Once upon a time I could hunt, shoot, fish and camp every weekend and thought nothing of it. I had no money to speak of, it came in covered the bills and went out, if I needed more I could make it from selling game or taking 'guests' shooting.

Then came the middle years, when the kids were young and interested in what I did, a good weekend was camping in the forest or down on the coast wildfowling.

The last 10 years have been hard, done the corporate thing, worked all hours not spent enough time with the family ignored my sport and natural attraction for anything outdoors. Started my own business that I am told is successful, worked more hours.

Last summer started to get things into perspective, done a few weekend hikes, more hunting, bowhunters proficiency test, more time with the boys, helping my wife with here veggie plot, gardening etc. Also making small bits of fishing kit, spear for fishing anything that will add to my next outing.

As you see I don't have any answers but perhaps a reminder each day of why I am on this treadmill has started to reintroduce some balance to my life.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do Phil.

Pothunter.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Wow - some great stuff in this thread.
Yup been there Phil - I eventually jacked my job in last year, and went self employed. I'm still finding my feet, but loving it so far. No :censored: boss. and a lot more flexi time.
I'm also leading a couple of canoe trips in the summer. So there is something on the horizon to really look forward to.
I find that my dog is a great help - he is always extatic to see us and ensures i get out for a walk everyday. He is an unconditional loyal friend.
I managed to get a woodburner installed (With a bit of help from Jason Sears ;) )
That means I have a fire to stare into every evening, aswell as logs to split (which I relish), make kindling, fuzz sticks, batoning knives etc - Its great - the heart of the home !
A last piece of advice - give what you need.- If someone is rude to you - be ultra polite, etc. It makes you realise just how much you do have.

Keep your chin up.
Cheers
Rich

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
sloe gin. I lik to think of it as bottled essence of a good autumn.

Make it, then spend months looking after it and anticipating. Then when the Feb blues set in sit dow nwith a good book (& fire if you have one) a a little glass or 2 to remember the fun had collecting the sloes.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I do have one piece of advice on the work front though- take a special interest in some part of your job. Become an expert. Go on trips to develop your knowledge. Makes the rest more enjoyable some how.

I'll agree with this. Plus, concentrating on what was a minor part of my job that I enjoyed has got me a new job with a 30% payrise.

So far the New Year has been good to me, new friends, new interests, new opportunities.

I'm planning to work hard while I am still young, so that I can play more later...

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
I jacked my job in last year to be self employed. I couldn't stand the office politics and BS.
The freedom is great and I can escape to the woods whenever I like. I'm not earning what I used to but you spend to your means anyway and it has taught me not to spend cash on pointless crap for the sake of it.
My only advise is to do what you really want to do, life will take care of everything else. ;)

P

Philr

I became a Scout leader its great never thought I would stick it but 10 years on still here an loving it.
Its a good excuse to be young again, and helping to pass on any knowledge i have for the outdoors to the kids that mostly stagnate indoors in front of the telly,
Best of all is when they become adults and shake your hand in the street reminicing of camps they've enjoyed.
Its a good feeling.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
all i can say is get out as much as you can whenever you have the chance, its snowing and im off school so im off in a little while for a walk round the fields
leon

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I also feel this way Phil.

I have my allotment which is well out of the way and is sooooo quiet and peaceful, it backs onto pasture land so I get the occasional moo but mostly just the birds singing and the wind in the trees.

I'm planning on 'doing one' in around 10 years time as the mortgage will be up, the kids will hopefully be off to college/travelling the world (I sometimes wish I had travelled more when younger but then I wouldn't have had the wife/kids/house young enough to contemplate this whilst young enough - if you get what I mean :confused: :rolleyes: :D ) - where was I? Oh yes, doing one as in selling up and offski to a smallholding somewhere in the middle of nowhere just me and the missus where I can live how we are meant to: growing, making, doing things for the best reason of all - to live.

It is this dream that keeps me going and stops me cracking up. Have a goal and then it all seems worth it.

Matt.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Roving Rich said:
Wow - some great stuff in this thread.
Yup been there Phil - I eventually jacked my job in last year, and went self employed. I'm still finding my feet, but loving it so far. No :censored: boss. and a lot more flexi time.
I'm also leading a couple of canoe trips in the summer. So there is something on the horizon to really look forward to.
I find that my dog is a great help - he is always extatic to see us and ensures i get out for a walk everyday. He is an unconditional loyal friend.
I managed to get a woodburner installed (With a bit of help from Jason Sears ;) )
That means I have a fire to stare into every evening, aswell as logs to split (which I relish), make kindling, fuzz sticks, batoning knives etc - Its great - the heart of the home !
A last piece of advice - give what you need.- If someone is rude to you - be ultra polite, etc. It makes you realise just how much you do have.

Keep your chin up.
Cheers
Rich

A good mate of mine is installing his woodburner this week and no I'm not jealous at all rich :banghead: . I believe Martyn knows him from a watch forum they both frequent (Running Man is his handle Martyn).

Matt.

Morrius

Oct 16, 2006
Bristol
I expect a few of us have this problem. My answer was to give up work and go back to study, I've applied to do animal behaviour in Aberyswyth, Wales, which should give me plenty of opportunity for being outside (to study and for leisure). I currently work in IT and it's killing me. The loathsome stupidity/arrogance of your average 'sales account manager' becomes too much to rise above at times.

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
Wowser....!! :Wow:

I'm truly moved by the number replies....voicing my internal frustration with my current life circumstances seems to have echoed chords in many.

I believe I have some contemplation to be getting on with ! :D

Thanks for all of your heartfelt support and recommendations. :35: Sometimes it helps just knowing there are other people out there!

Now, I'm off out into the snow to enjoy the silence.. :27: ..but before I do.....

:grouphug:

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
Morrius said:
.. I currently work in IT and it's killing me. The loathsome stupidity/arrogance of your average 'sales account manager' becomes too much to rise above at times.

Brother, I'm right with you on this one! I'm looking forward to getting out of this rat race and into a meaningful, rewarding career somewhere altogether more rural. :D

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Wow, some great advice on this thread, I think I will have to read it every morning for mental preparation ! :)

I try to get out at least once a fortnight, for a hill or forest walk, I find that just being out in nature is very good for getting things into perspective, especially sitting on top of a hill with a good view. Somehow, seeing the landscape spread out below me makes me realise how insignificant me and my problems are in relation to the world ! If I show no signs of getting out at the weekend SWMBO kicks me out, as she says I come home a better person :D

As others have mentioned, I find tending the stove or fireplace also helps, chopping logs and kindling, I guess, is one of the last 'primitive' things we can still do in this modern world of computers and mobile phones etc.

Good luck Phil

Best wishes,
Doug.

D

Deleted member 4605

Osprey said:
As others have mentioned, I find tending the stove or fireplace also helps, chopping logs and kindling, I guess, is one of the last 'primitive' things we can still do in this modern world of computers and mobile phones etc.

I can attest to that - I spent the weekend shortening a row of Beech trees, then startting to limb and buck them. Hard work, but I came in grinning like an idiot!

Even little things like lighting the fire with a firesteel and sticks I gathered in the garden puts a little bushcraft in each day and keeps me smiling.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I've just been listening to 'radio 5 Live' to a chap who has been told he'll be dead by Mid - late march this year. (cancer) He's 56 years old. My goodness what an amazing bloke. :eek: He was so positive about it all, when most people would just be falling apart. He's was saying he's greatful for what life he's had and he's going to arrange a 'wake before he goes to say goodbye to everyone. He was saying he was greatful for the chance to be able to do this where some people don't get the chance, say for example car accident.
He also said he'd chased money all his life, trying to run his own businesses and working all hours for what ends up now to be for nothing. His biggest regret was not paying enough attention to his 2 daughters, and paying too much attention to his making the businesses work and be rich. Basically it means nothing anymore.
He says if he could do it all again he'd make a decent living and spend far more time doing stuff with his kids even just going for a walk or to the park, the beach, play board games on winters evenings, chess, chat. I think he was trying to say it dosn't have to cost money to spend valuable time with your kids/wife/partner etc, although going away for weekend or holidays, or to the cinema etc is also good of course.
The guy was amazing in his attitude under his circumstances,that he's about to die and it made me realise even more than I did already that you're a long time dead. Live for now. The chap is going to spend as much time as he can with his family with what little time he has left.
A lesson to heed I think for me anyway.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE